PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
For me personally, one aspect of pipesmoking that I particularly enjoy is that it is a break from the often frantic daily pace. In addition, it requires some care, focus, and deliberate action. I have no problem setting out beforehand a blend as long as required to dry it to my tastes. If I want to smoke something more immediately, I have blends that take little or no drying time.
So no, I don’t zap my pipe baccy.

Jun 27, 2016
I use a heat-gun (hairdryer would probably work), which dries stuff quickly enough without instantly/ever steaming/cooking it. To me, microwaved tobacco always tasted differently & not as good as compared to when using the heat gun. :puffpipe:

Jan 7, 2019
I’ve never done this. Usually I’ll set out some ‘tomorrow’ bowls to air dry and then load ‘em up and cap them off with a spiraled pipe cleaner before bed. Only occasional aggravation is when I’ve pre-loaded a couple bowls and I want something different when I wake up. Heh!

ernieq

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2018
Interesting thread. Whenever I case base tobaccos, I start out by heating them in the microwave. Casing sauce gets heated as well before being sprayed on. This was taught to me by several other store blenders and it serves to open the pores of the tobacco and give a much more thorough case.

True tobacco toasting, however, is done at very specific temperatures. (265 for Virginia and 305 for Burley) It's main purpose is the release of nitrogenous compounds and alkaloids from the tobacco to improve the smoke. It also serves to bring out a set of different aromas and flavor in the leaf.
Heating tobacco in a microwave should release some alkaloids and nitrogenous compounds thus improving the smoke and, thus, smoothing the flavor but it won't do much to bring out the flavors precipitated by true toasting.
Hey, if you like the result? Why not. Personally, I prefer to air-dry over moist tobacco. If I have a lot of really moist leaf, like the way Perique sometimes comes, I'll spread it out and use a heat lamp at around 4' above the table.
E.

If I have time to wait for my oven to heat up, then I have time to just set a clump on my coffee mug warmer. No, my microwave only gets used in a pinch, and never more than 10 seconds, usually 8 seconds, max. I don't leave it in there till it's dry, just till its warmed up enough to continue drying for a few more seconds outside the microwave. But, all in all, I wouldn't use it as a general practice or a part of ritual. I just use it when I have popped a new tin, and I have to get out the door quickly.
Ha ha, but if some of the flavorings from Royal Yacht gets lost, all the better, ha ha.
No, I don't think we are trying to talk people into using the microwave; just suggesting it as a fix when in a bind. However, if someone wants to nuke their leaf into a NASA product, have at it.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I will do it on occasion in the summer months, in the winter it's so dry around here that leaving it out for 1/2 hour or so does the trick...

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Here's a good description of how a microwave oven works:
ChingaXFiles.jpg

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I zap mine in the microwave frequently but not always. Usually 8 to 10 seconds but never more than 20. I also wash my pipes in the sink (even the expensive ones). Usually with Dawn but never Dove. To each his own shall be the whole of the law!

Status
Not open for further replies.