PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
For those trying to clean up old pipes, you may have read around here that there's this thing called MicroMesh that works well on stems.
But how well ? Does it really make a difference ? See for yourself.
After the Oxy-clean and Magic Eraser treatment, your stem will look like this.
GrabowBefore.jpg

After the Micro Mesh sanding using all nine grades one at a time, your stem will look like this. No wax, no buff. Just wet sanding with the nine grades.
GrabowAfter.jpg

Example 2 - Before

Stembefore.jpg

Example 2 - After

StemAfter.jpg

So does it work ? You be the judge. But I now swear by the stuff.

Jul 15, 2011
Miro Mesh has taken some of my fuzziest, nastiest, smelliest stems, and turned them into black glass. It is really amazing stuff and I swear by it absolutely. The fact that you used it in combination with Oxyclean makes me think that you read a certain guide to stem restoration by a certain fine gentleman on this fine forum huh?
*ahem* Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Seriously though, well done. :mrgreen:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Yep Pipe Novelist. Your guide was extremely helpful and a must read for everyone who is cleaning/restoring pipes. Now.. if you would only write the same for how to clean bowls.. we'd be all set ;-)

Jul 15, 2011
A good point that has been cited for some time in several varied venues (-;

Attempts of original attribution would be specious I'd think...
OTD you are a wicked, wicked man. Oh well, someone around here has to call me on my wildly boisterous claims! :mrgreen:
Now.. if you would only write the same for how to clean bowls.. we'd be all set
This sort of thing is in the works, but it may be a bit of time before anyone sees the final product. Were you thinking of the inside of the bowl, outside, or both?

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Were you thinking of the inside of the bowl, outside, or both?
Both. Here's just some of my questions or experiments on the half dozen or so pipes I've done:

1) Reaming: I use a knife on the inside. An old sturdy Comanche lock knife that seems to have the right shape. But I've ordered a full reaming kit before I tackle the beloved Hilsons and Albertsons pipes. But I have no clue how to use a reamer. So I'll be hunting the good old Tube of You for some ideas.

2) Polishing and cleaning of bowl and shank. Thus far, I've kept it simple. A soft toothbrush and a very gentle touch with a polishing brush and polishing cloth on my handheld Dremel. Yes I know, the slowest setting on that thing is 5,000 RPM, which is way high. But gentle touches seem to have worked thus far. Just using a little Carnauba on the smooth pipes. Need some Halcyon for the rusticated ones. And a slower turning buffing wheel. It's been ok but not quite perfect.

3) On the table / rim of the bowl, all I've done is Q-Tips with good ole' spit. But I did notice on one of the pipes that the varnish came off. Need to figure that out.

4) Varnish/Shellac: On the Yello Bole, the entire pipe is lacquered (Shellac perhaps ?) or varnished and I noticed it is flaking off here and there. So all I used was a cotton rag. No Dremels on that since I'm sure it would strip everything off. Question is whether that's a good or bad thing. And if so, how do you get it all off and would you then just wax or try to re-varnish
Just some topics to ponder ... glad to be of help :rofl:

Jul 15, 2011
As far as reaming goes, a lot of how you ream will depend on the reamer that you buy. Figure out which reamer it is and then check out youtube as you will almost certainly find a tutorial for the type of reamer that you have. This website also has good videos about how to ream your pipe. As far as the outside of the bowl, as you well know, I dont have a buffer setup, but I have used Paragon wax to great effect. Smear on a light coating, let it dry for 5 minutes or so, then buff it off with a soft cloth. I have a drawer full of those little cheap-o rags you buy at Wal Mart for $1 apiece that work really well for the Paragon. To get really nasty rim scorch off the rim of the pipe, here is my secret weapon: Take a shank brush and dip it in the hottest water that you can get. Five minutes of scrubbing should have your rim clean as a whistle. As far as lacquered pipes go, I have a few old Medicos that have lacquer on them, and I just use my Paragon wax on those as well and have never had any trouble. I would think that using the buffer/Dremel setup that you are using on those particular pipes could possibly strip the finish but I wouldn't know for sure having never tried it before.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I was thinking of this set
51fo%2BzxpVyL._SS400_.jpg

Which would help me as well with some seriously clogged stems and shanks I have.
I also like this set, since it has the different size reamers.
4158afEIu%2BL._SS400_.jpg

Those two combined should cover me pretty well for any pipe heading my way.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
I have a set like that and love it, as well as a "Hedgehog" model, and a wind-out/expanding Dunhill one - I usually end up using all 3 at various times on a reaming exercise.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Couple things

@Mick I have both sets the black set is very sharp and agressave I have made bowls wider with it

the senior set is great for day to day cleaning.

2 where can I find micro mesh?

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
+1 with dgerwin11
Just google it or find a local good woodworking shop. My local one 5 minutes away had it. Here's the pads I got for $23
150859_400.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.