PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Jchaplick: No clue (yet). But thus far they've held up really well. Perhaps others and more experienced restorers can shed some light

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I mean, they are least better than a magic eraser? I cant get one of them to last two pipes without breaking up

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
How many stems can you re finish with one set, as in what is the life of them?
I bought 2 of the 9 pad sets a little over a year ago. One set remains unopened.

I'd guestimate I've done 20 or so stems using all 9 pads, no telling how many times I've used the 8K and 12K for touchups.

I've also done some extensive sanding with that same set on 3 briar bowls.

After each use I clean the abrasive with dishsoap and a toothbrush, makes sure the pads are dry before putting them away.

That 1st set has a whole lot of life left to it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Micromesh: I like the sheets better than the foam back pads, particularly for creases. I've learned to use 1500 than 2000 grit paper wet, than just the final four grades of micromesh (4000, 6000,8000 & 12000).
Rockler has the best prices and reasonable shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Micro-Mesh-12-000/dp/B001F7LVNC/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1324596394&sr=8-12
Reamers: I have the black Castleford and expandable "Senor" reamers but use the Castleford 98% of the time.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
My local store is a Rockler and I paid just over $20 for all 9 in a 3x4 pad. Cut them in half, which makes the perfect size.
With regards to cleaning, the guy at the store said he throws them in the washing machine when his wife isn't looking :rofl: I just rinse them off real well and let them air dry.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
hose are good prices on the Micro Mesh Al
And the shipping isn't over the top either (I've found some really awful shipping thru some companies)
The other thing I like a about Rockler (and a few others) is you can buy individual, specific grades. Most places like Woodcraft, etc only sell the micromesh in sets, not separate grades. I use a lot more of the upper end than the coarser grades. This stuff is pretty durable. I've completed 8 pipe stems with four sheets of the 3" x 6" and they are just now starting to show some wear.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Watch the shipping costs on some of those vendors, a small order can get pretty pricey. I think Lee was one with some costly shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.