PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Geez. I came here to ask a question but forgot and got lost in the topics for two hours!
I got a Meerschaum-lined Grabow in a combination eBay deal. I noticed right away I could barely draw through it. Removing the stem and looking into the shank I see a shiny piece of metal.
I can't get a picture of it. But it looks like it might have been a steel or aluminum bushing right at the bowl.
Do I need to open it up? (Looks crushed a bit around the edges). Remove it? Use a little drill bit to try to restore diameter?
Or is it even supposed to be there? Did someone get something jammed in there while trying to clean it or something?
Anyone got experience with the design and components of these things?

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Are you talking about a stinger in the stem? Remove it if you find you can't draw enough through regular puffing. If it's a rod stinger and it's crimped in so you can't draw through it, you're going to have to either pull the stinger out and either cut it to provide an open hole, or uncrimp it. Pictures would help.
Shutterbug

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
if I don't hear from someone who has seen this sort of thing in, say, a week, maybe, then I'm going to try to pick it out. But no, not a screw in. And no, there's no stinger.
Here's the way I worded it in an email to Grabow:

This is regarding a Dr. Grabow meerschaum-lined pipe. I got it as an estate pipe package on eBay. But when it came, the draw was almost impossible. I took the stem off and at the back of the shank, right in the draw hole, was a tiny bit of tubular metal. I don’t know how to describe except maybe it’s a thin-walled bushing in the draw hole to protect it or something. It’s not a stinger and I don’t think it would have been part of a stinger.
Well, I could see the edges of that were turned over a little bit. It’s definitely the obstruction.
My question--is that part of the design of the DG meerschaum-lined pipe? Did the DG have a metal part in the draw hole right where bowl meets shank? Or is it a foreign object? Did a previous owner get something lodged in there?
If you know what I”m talking about, is it something I need to have repaired to preserve the integrity of the pipe, or can I just remove it?, pick it out, maybe? I don’t want to damage the meerschaum, naturally. So I’m holding off.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I think you most likely have a stinger hung up in there. Some stingers would look like a tube when looking at it from the end. It does need to come out.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
You were right on the money, Ed! Thank you.
I never heard back from Grabow, and I got impatient. I shouldn't have hesitated, though, because long before now I am convinced of your peerless authority on Grabows, Behind that tiny bit of deformed tube was ball of the stinger, wedged in the hole.
I nudged it out from the bowl side using a right-angle pick. Didn't really require force at all, just a little wiggle. It moved, but wouldn't drop out after the first nudge. Second one and it fell right out.
I did that quick just before jumping in the truck to head to Wyoming, or I'd have taken a picture of it. Maybe when I get back. I left it on my work bench.
Cleaned up the pipe first thing I got here. Had a couple bowls and... heck. Turns out I don't care for the thing. I think having that ball wedged in there all this time might have damaged the draw hole on this. Way too wide-open now. Might has well be blowing on a birds next to get a campfire started.
Shoot. But sure looks pretty! .... And again. Will send pictures when the trip's over.
Just wanted to say thank you, publicly, to let folks who don't know you get to know you. Appreciate it!
Pups

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You're quite welcome!!Glad you were able to get it out !! I've only owned one Grabow meer lined and it is in my rotation now. The draw is fine. Is you pipe a filter pipe--metal tenon? The draw on those can be very open, a filter will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.