PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctoronln9

Lurker
Oct 23, 2013
I was at Epcot last Friday with the fiancé, when we sat down and puffed away at our eCigs. I wouldn't dare bring one of my pipes to a theme park! All the sudden, I get this wonderful hint of a smell coming from behind me, instead of the usual stale scents from a 'smoking area'. I turn around, and see a older gentleman with a lady friend smoking a beautiful pipe. Almost subconsciously, I went for my pocket to dig up my Missouri Meerschaum I usually keep with me when I go out, only to remember it was sitting in the car with my tobacco, tamp and zippo. Well, didn't matter, I had to approach the guy and compliment him.
The man was very polite when I complimented him on his pipe, probably thinking I wasn't aware of pipe smoking outside of classic movies. After all, I'm 26, so not the usual sight for a pipe smoker. I asked him what he had in it, and he explained it was a Peterson blend. He made the effort to explain what kind of blend it was, that it came in a tin, and what it tasted like. Realizing I probably made the situation a tad awkward, I quickly said, "Oh, I smoke a ton of Samuel Gawaith's Squadron Leader!"
Instantly, he looked up with raised eyebrows and said, "Oh! Well, we're a dying breed, friend!"
Little instances like this make me happy I'm part of this group. People in the piping hobby are always courteous, genteel and agreeable when I meet them. I couldn't stay too long, since my fiancé was eager to get some lunch in us, but even that minute-long conversation stuck out for the rest of the trip.
I got to start going to pipe clubs. :puffpipe:

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I am taking the family at the end of March. I figured with Disney's anti stance on smoking that it wouldn't be allowed at all. So they have area where you can do it? Man I wish their pipe shop was still there.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I love those moments doctor. I, like you, am 26 and on my casual days do not look like a pipe smoker traditionally. I do a lot of traveling for work, and my pipe is always in my mouth on longer road trips. I've had quite a few of these encounters with older gentlemen, and get to talk with them as we stand in the designated areas at rest stops. I am not a member of a club or anything, so when I see another pipe smoker I get really excited and have to strike up a conversation. Great story. :puffpipe:

doctoronln9

Lurker
Oct 23, 2013
They do, one in every area. Magic Kingdom gets so crowded, and smoking areas so tiny, you'll notice a smoking area just by smell alone. Epcot's smoking areas tend to be a bit larger, and since Epcot appeals more to adults, there's less screaming if you're caught outside it - or so I hear. I haven't been to MGM or Animal Kingdom since I was a little kid, though we're doing Animal Kingdom on Friday, so I'll report back if anyone's curious.
Funny enough, despite how many people have begun to demonize eCigs, no one gave a crap if I puff away on it while I'm walking between 'worlds'. I never did it in a line for a ride, but then, I'd find that to be pretty rude myself.

stewartu

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2012
Great share. Its always a pleasure, albeit a rare one, to meet a fellow connoisseur.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
That's awesome!
There's a pipe smoker at my work and I've been meaning to strike up a conversation with him, but for some reason, he's real easy to miss.

brianlevine

Might Stick Around
Oct 10, 2011
Yes, Disney World does allow smoking in designated areas in each park and resort. Pipes and cigars are welcome as long as you are in a smoking area. Most of the smoking areas have benches and Disney does it's best to make them comfortable for us to relax and enjoy a pipe. Some smoking areas are better then others but, I always throw a pipe, tobacco, cleaners, a tamper and a lighter in my fanny pack before heading to the parks for the day and grab a drink and park myself on a bench for a relaxing smoke. EPCOT and the Disney Studios are my favorites because of the good coffee or adult beverages located near a couple of the smoking areas. Check out the smoking area at the end of Main St. on the right side at the Magic Kingdom. Nice tables down by the water with a great view of the castle. Disneyland in California is not as nice to those of us that enjoy tobacco.
In short, absolutely bring a pipe or two with you and enjoy while you are visiting the Happiest Place on Earth!
Brian

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Funny how a sighting of a fellow pipe smoker is cause for excitement. I saw an old gent in the grocery parking lot, and

pulled up next to him -- he was on foot, I was in my car -- and asked him what he was smoking, which was Prince Albert,

but then he beat a hasty retreat, maybe afraid I was going to be critical.

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
Thanks for sharing. The missus and I love the yearly Epcot food and wine festivals, and Disney in general. I can see the appeal of taking the pipe along especially on a rare uncrowded evening. Epcot can be a good place to slow down if you catch it at the right time. A pipe would be a great fit it when it does, and running into another like minded soul would be a nice encounter.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Walt---if I make it down to Disney and Epcot center I will definitely hit you up and bring a bowl to share with you.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Funny I was there myself over the past two weeks. I didnt bother trying to smoke in the park itself (chasing 3 kids) but I did get a few bowls in during our cruise portion. Sadly you can no longer smoke on your balcony however.
If you get off in Nassau, you can smoke nearly anywhere you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.