Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I recently picked up a limited edition packet of matches which are well known here in New Zealand called BEEHIVE. Each box in the packet has an iconic picture on it which is related to local culture dubbed “Kiwiana”. I have taken several boxes out. One shows a sheep of which we have plenty and the other shows the red flower of the native Pohutukawa tree which blooms in December (our summer) and is known as the Christmas flower.

Anyone else have any interesting boxes of matches?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I was going to say my Seahawks handing the overrated SF 49ers their first loss of the season tonight. Then I realized you meant actual matches.

The iconic ones for me are the ones I’ve carried into the bush for ages. Since childhood. I’ll probably be buried with a pack. Not because they are sentimental (which they are) but because I have a pack in almost every outdoor garment or bag I own. And I will almost certainly be buried in flannel.

93cf3580-694e-4371-b0a5-f9e9c999e1bc_1.4dd5e202bd530a6040ac48c9af2bbd6c.jpeg

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I was going to say my Seahawks handing the overrated SF 49ers their first loss of the season tonight. Then I realized you meant actual matches.

The iconic ones for me are the ones I’ve carried into the bush for ages. Since childhood. I’ll probably be buried with a pack. Not because they are sentimental (which they are) but because I have a pack in almost every outdoor garment or bag I own. And I will almost certainly be buried in flannel.

93cf3580-694e-4371-b0a5-f9e9c999e1bc_1.4dd5e202bd530a6040ac48c9af2bbd6c.jpeg
Yeah, I have a similar type in my hunting kit as well. The bush can be quite wet here in winter.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yeah, I have a similar type in my hunting kit as well. The bush can be quite wet here in winter.
Ditto! I also carry these little bad boys with me these days. Easy to make with waste sawdust, cotton, and that old candle wax that the wick wont burn. Waterproof, and easily lit with a flint. Cost $0 to make, and super light.

Reactions: renfield and charf

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I really prefer matches over lighters but I do a majority of smoking outdoors and lighters are more practical when trying to outsmart the wind and rain here in the PNW.
Still, in Summer I always have box close by in pocket. Some of my favorites.

Reactions: dcon and charf

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Ditto! I also carry these little bad boys with me these days. Easy to make with waste sawdust, cotton, and that old candle wax that the wick wont burn. Waterproof, and easily lit with a flint. Cost $0 to make, and super light.

Nice. I will share that on my hunting clubs FB page. Thanks.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Nice. I will share that on my hunting clubs FB page. Thanks.
Yeah, theyre cool. You can make bigger ones in a muffin tin that will burn for like 20 minutes. Drop one in an empty tin can with a couple air slits cut in it and you can boil water over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.