Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The sidebar widget showing who's online doesn't appear inside of a thread. You will see it when you go back out to the main forums page.

Lots of lurkers from Chinese IPs in general.

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis!?!?

Most of the spammers have been from Russia, but you guys don't see them as they get snagged before anything happens publicly.

It's totally normal and nothing new to have most of the site's visitors not logged in, and likely not registered.

A lot of traffic comes in from people seeking pipe or tobacco info, and they found a link to this forum that answers their question, and then they bail.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The sidebar widget showing who's online doesn't appear inside of a thread. You will see it when you go back out to the main forums page.

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis!?!?

Most of the spammers have been from Russia, but you guys don't see them as they get snagged before anything happens publicly.

It's totally normal and nothing new to have most of the site's visitors not logged in, and likely not registered.

A lot of traffic comes in from people seeking pipe or tobacco info, and they found a link to this forum that answers their question, and then they bail.
Other sites. Lotsa Chinese IPs lurking. Guess the Ruskies like this place.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
We have always had a large number of watchers. This is why I have said over and over, do not post a link to a pipe that you want to buy, and want to ask us a question about... because one of the hundreds of folks watching will snag it. It has happened many times on here.

Also, don't post a link to a great deal on tobacco, thinking you are only telling your forum friends... because you are really telling hundreds of nameless strangers that will eat it up before anyone else here can have a chance.

When I have brought it up, people get all butthurt and stomp off with "I was only trying to help my friends" so, now I just let the idiots learn for themself. puf
I always love to watch folks trip over their fingers trying to order the stuff I’ve already snagged for myself. Remote viewing is a trip?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
They're called readers, not lurkers, and they make up 99% of the traffic on the internet. On the flip side, folks who create an account and post regularly on this site or any other are more the weirdo minority. The idea that readers don't matter compared to posters is mistaken. Advertisers will tell you different.

Reactions: oldtoby

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
As someone who has posted on various internet forums for years I'll say I've sometimes thought folks who do that are a little strange.:ROFLMAO:

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I've honestly lurked less since the new site rolled out and I haven't been signed out as often.

As far as posting on this forum, I understand not posting a pipe you're interested in but I've personally enjoyed some of the tobacco drop posts. I've been able to pick up some things I would have missed because I frequent this site more than often than I sit refreshing retailer sites.

I'm much more content enjoying my favorite blends of readily available tobacco than chasing every unicorn tobacco out there though. Thinking back, I've probably passed on as many tobacco drop threads as I've partaken in. Still nice to see a heads up here though when something I am interested in becomes available.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I read way more than I post. But I dig you guys and gals so much. Also relatively new 2 1/2 years in I’m just starting to understand piping. Sometimes I think I’d rather not post until I really have something to contribute.

Reactions: lelik and oldtoby

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I read way more than I post. But I dig you guys and gals so much. Also relatively new 2 1/2 years in I’m just starting to understand piping. Sometimes I think I’d rather not post until I really have something to contribute.
It's totally cool, a lot of us post things that don't really contribute to anything. And that's ok. That is one thing I like about the new forum. The "Like" option. Sometimes it's just easier to hit that button, and get your opinion out, without needing to say anything else.

But jttnk on the other hand, I understand where you are coming from.

One of my biggest pet peeves on forums (all of them, not just this one) USED TO BE, when the OP asks a question about a very specific topic, and someone responds with " I have no idea, I have never owned/wore/smoked/tried etc, BUT ..." and so on and so forth.

But I've seen that so much, that I have gotten over it. People just like to be heard, and that's ok.

Here's that blue sock again

?

Mar 1, 2014
It's totally cool, a lot of us post things that don't really contribute to anything. And that's ok. That is one thing I like about the new forum. The "Like" option. Sometimes it's just easier to hit that button, and get your opinion out, without needing to say anything else.

But jttnk on the other hand, I understand where you are coming from.

One of my biggest pet peeves on forums (all of them, not just this one) USED TO BE, when the OP asks a question about a very specific topic, and someone responds with " I have no idea, I have never owned/wore/smoked/tried etc, BUT ..." and so on and so forth.

But I've seen that so much, that I have gotten over it. People just like to be heard, and that's ok.

Here's that blue sock again

?

Luckily it’s been a while since our last Starcat level incident.
There’s people who want attention, and then there’s people who truly live for it.

I have noticed a lot of new posters, but when I check their info, they are returning members that joined in 2013 or earlier. Maybe they are returning to check out the new format, or maybe just getting active again, to see if the weather is any better on here now? No telling, but it's great to see so many new and old members participating.

Dtom447

Lurker
Sep 15, 2019
I think that the updated version is what made me want to join. I had FB before now I don’t but this seems like a great platform

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
We have always had a large number of watchers. This is why I have said over and over, do not post a link to a pipe that you want to buy, and want to ask us a question about... because one of the hundreds of folks watching will snag it. It has happened many times on here.

Also, don't post a link to a great deal on tobacco, thinking you are only telling your forum friends... because you are really telling hundreds of nameless strangers that will eat it up before anyone else here can have a chance.

When I have brought it up, people get all butthurt and stomp off with "I was only trying to help my friends" so, now I just let the idiots learn for themself. puf

Taking all of the above into consideration, it would be very nice to have the ability to select a "forum members only" option when creating a new thread, so that the thread could not be viewed unless logged into the forum.

They're called readers, not lurkers, and they make up 99% of the traffic on the internet. On the flip side, folks who create an account and post regularly on this site or any other are more the weirdo minority. The idea that readers don't matter compared to posters is mistaken. Advertisers will tell you different.

To be fair, "lurker" is common internet jargon for someone who spends time on a forum without being a member. I would describe myself as a "former lurker" on this forum. Sure, it seems to have a negative connotation, but I think it's kind of tongue-in-cheek in the first place. "Lurking" online certainly isn't the same as lurking out in the real world.

Last edited:
Reactions: mau1

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I stay permanently logged in on my phone, save for when I delete cookies or do some sort of restart that logs me out so I should show up every time I visit with my phone.

The same cannot be said of my work desktop. Sometimes I log in so I can post or reply to a post but quite often I just look for anything new without logging in so I would technically be lurking at these times.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, there's that too—staying logged in, or more like the computer remaining here. I permanently have a tab with this site on my browser, so whenever Flawedfox is running I 'am' here even though I'm really not.

Status
Not open for further replies.