georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Not a rumor or Internet gag, it's official:
james-bond.png

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The relentless PC agenda in Hollywood these days is not surprising...and has become quite boring.
But the particular thing about this rather crass agenda that prevents me from having any respect for it is the extent to which they are incapable of coming up with original and creative vehicles for their agenda.
Instead they continue on with this contrived pattern of appropriating longstanding characters and traditions to manipulate for their purposes.
To those who continue perpetuating this farce I say, come up with something new, original and inspired or go get a real job.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Why couldn't they just say "here's our new agent 014" or some nonsense?
Because they're only against cultural appropriation when it's not serving their agenda.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Actress Lashana Lynch Is the New 007 in the Upcoming James Bond. Daniel Craig is still James Bond, but now he has a successor. The James Bond franchise has been in need of a jolt for a while now, and there has long been speculation that once Daniel Craig steps down from the role, he could be replaced by Idris Elba.
It still could be an elaborate hoax, no??? I could see Elba, who has actual acting chops.
GQ wrote an article in March listing 15 actors who might fill the role. The only woman was Gillian Anderson.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I'm no expert, but I'm not so sure it will flop. Consider;
1. She isn't playing James Bond. She's playing a separate character taking over the codename "007". Will they handle the hand-off well?

2. The highest-grossing non-ensemble superhero film of all time was Black Panther. This change will alienate some old-time fans, but might it not engage whole new market segments?

3. Is there that much of a downside in alienating old-time fans anyway? I'm talking here about the guys who compare every new Bond actor (unfavorably) with Sean Connery. They weren't happy with Daniel Craig, and they weren't going to be happy with his successor. Why aim to compete with the hazy golden memories of somebody's glory days?
The only question; will they draw in enough of a new female audience to replace the portion of the male audience that slips away?
If it does bomb they will, like clockwork, reboot the reboot.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
nA4L3Ve.jpg

As a subject for comparison, here's a graph of the overnight ratings for a few recent series' of the BBC's Doctor Who.
The season 11 spike coincides with the much-poo-poo'd debut of Jodie Whittaker in the title role as the first female Doctor.
There are a number of caveats here; maybe overnight ratings aren't representative, maybe ratings in general are less useful than they once were, maybe Doctor Who has a fundamentally different and more amenable audience when compared to 007...but the data hardly spells disaster. (Personally I stopped watching when Matt Smith held the role. The showrunners couldn't just let the damn Daleks die.)

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
My Wife still thinks James Bond movies are not true events. And true stories.

Bless her soul.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Whether or not it's "successful" in terms of dollars is irrelevant to me. And I'm not really interested in Bond movies much anymore anyway...I liked them when I was a kid.
I just don't like contrivance and double standards. If it pays off well for them then that's just all the worse imo.
As a counter example, take the Alien series. Now that was something original with a strong female lead and was really good. And even though not all of the sequels were well received, I liked all of the first 4 films a lot...up until Prometheus and Alien Covenant which weren't nearly as well written imo.
Another example would be La Femme Nikita (the original French one...the Hollywood version wasn't as good imo). Again, original and well written with an impressive female lead.
There are many others, but this business of appropriation seems to be something new that I find distasteful. Off the top of my head, they've done this recently with Men in Black, Ghostbusters, Captain America, and I'm pretty sure there were others I'm not remembering at the moment...but I expect the trend to continue.
What's next...Dirty Harriet?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
They wanted to do something similar with Halle Berry's Jinx character years back, but it never got going.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I would go to see Dirty Harriet.... 8)
"...But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow a hole clean through your Mason jar of Esoterica, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?'..."
8O
jay-roger.jpg

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Informed, reasoned and balanced posts.
1. Elbert, are you sure the internet is a good fit for you?
I would go anywhere else if they would take me :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.