PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig

Lurker
Oct 30, 2019
Hi all,

I have an older estate pipe that I'd appreciate your thoughts about the age and origin of this pipe and possibly a value.

It is a nicely colored meerschaum with metal (maybe silver?) accents on the bowl and where the stem attaches to the bowl. The stem is a see through red color, with almost no bite marks.
Please review the picture and lend your valued opinion!

Thank you!

Attachments

• Meerschaum Pipe ID.jpg
    Meerschaum Pipe ID.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 79

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Standard meerschaum with a Redmanol stem which was a sort of plastic manufactured between 1913-1922 and surprisingly durable as I have few examples of stems on my pipes that are clocking about 100 years. The metal accents on the bowl and shank would have been plated in either silver or gold and not added as an after market addition. If it came with a case, which most did then it should either have the retailers or manufacturers name. I wouldn't know what such a pipe is worth but they show up on that online auction site Oi Vay (Ebay) quite often and the price is governed by what anyone is prepared to pay. If the threads in the shank are sound and the bone tenion is unbroken and the case has survived then it will probably change hands at a guess for $50/75.00. I am no expert as I only collect one style of meerschaum pipe. Good luck.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here it is a bit easier to see.

If you can safely remove the stem from the stummel and post pictures, the experts will have more to go on. ( I am not among them.)

meerschaum-pipe-id-jpg.7181

Reactions: saintpeter

Craig

Lurker
Oct 30, 2019
Thanks CondorLover, that's interesting information!
Saint Peter - I can't tell the material of the tenon, but it's tightly threaded and the stem screws into it.

Craig

Lurker
Oct 30, 2019
Very cool SP, good to see! My spell check/auto correct does the same thing to me! :)

Here is the translation according to my pal, Google:
"“Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn” is generally translated as “In his house, dead Cthulhu of R'lyeh waits dreaming"
I don't know what that means, but something is going on in that pipe..... :)

Craig

Lurker
Oct 30, 2019
Here it is a bit easier to see.

If you can safely remove the stem from the stummel and post pictures, the experts will have more to go on. ( I am not among them.)

meerschaum-pipe-id-jpg.7181
Thanks jpmcwjr, this does indeed look better@ Folks would have to click on the image to en;arge it, and I appreciate your help!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.