Meerschaum or White Briar?

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmason

Preferred Member
Jan 27, 2013
Hey guys, I know I haven't been around a while, I was finishing up semester and this is the first time since I was done with finals I can think straight, but anyhow I got an estate pipe the other day and it is white. Now at first I thought it was white briar, but upon closer inspection I realized it has a plastic screw in stem, like Meers. Then to top it off I sanded some of it to see if I could hit the wood, but to no effect. Then just to make me think it was a briar it has cake on the inner walls, but very little only on the top the rest of the bowl is darkened, but not the same way briars darken, I would add pics but I don't have the time or camera right now, I will in a while or so, but if anyone can give me tips on how to identify if it is a meer or not that would be a great help.

Merry Christmas

~Ron

rmason

Preferred Member
Jan 27, 2013
I know right now I'm at a family get together and don't have my pipe on me, sorry about that.

~Ron

rmason

Preferred Member
Jan 27, 2013
Ok I was able to get pictures, but only from my Iphone camera so here they are.

Sorry about the quality, also if it helps I just found out that the inside of the bowl is ribbed and I have never seen this on a briar pipe.

~Ron

meerqueen

Sep 9, 2012
Hİ Ron,
At first sight, It looks like a meerschaum from here :) What about colorization of the sides of the Pipe? If this pipe is old so i expect color change from white to brown.

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
I would be surprised if it isn't a Meer. A white briar would show wear differently. I feel

like I can tell the Meer sound versus the briar sound by tapping a pipe with my fingernail,

but I don't own a Meer, so this is from limited experiences, admiring friend's Meers and

at the pipe shop. I avoid Meers -- having too many pipes already, and a new pipe cabinet

on the way.

rmason

Preferred Member
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks guys the coloring on the pipe is minimal and only some on top of the bowl that I mistook it for char.

~Ron

snagstangl

Preferred Member
Jul 1, 2013
I would go with meer, only companies that I know of that made white painted briar pipes were weber and kaywoodie.

rmason

Preferred Member
Jan 27, 2013
So since then I have discover and know fully that it is a meer, now how does one clean the stem can I oxi clean it like regular stems or do I need to do something different.

~Ron