PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I need help with this Meerschaum pipe. It is a vintage CAO Meerschaum by Ismet Bekler. I purchased it unsmoked and in pristine condition about 4 years ago. It was smoked regularly for a while, but it's been a drawer for over 2 years because I don't smoke Meerschaum often, eventually I kind of forgot about it to be honest. When I got the pipe I remember there was a plastic screw in mortise/tenon, the one that the tenon could be turned clockwise to simulate a briar tenon, and counterclockwise to unscrew the mortise. Recently, I pulled it out to smoke and noticed that the screw in mortis is clearly missing. I have no idea what happened, and I looked everywhere, but can't find it. I was always careful with the screw in mortise/tenon combination, having been warned about this very thing happening. It is still smokeable and the tenon does push snuggly in the stem, but I don't want to risk the stummel falling off the stem and breaking on the ground.
So what happened here? Can I get another screw in mortise? Is there a pipe repair guy for this kind of thing? It's a great pipe and I want to start smoking it regularly again.
2ECKux1.jpg

wA3WPy8.jpg

FNmsLME.jpg

Ft1HQf7.jpg

FNmsLME.jpg

Y7IWd5l.jpg

Reactions: chopper

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Does anyone have a picture of what the missing piece looks like? Any examples would be appreciated.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Yes! The good news is that those pieces are readily available at a few places, and fairly if not always universal. I ordered some from Paykoc (sp?) a while back just to freshen up my meers by changing out the old ones. Your pipe will be good as new!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Awesome! Thanks guys! That is exactly what I needed and ordered a few. Cheers!

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Based on your 4th photograph, it appears all or part of the "receiver" end is still present in the pipe itself. I would remove that (EZ Out or similar home-made tool).
EDIT: the plastic/nylon "receiver" piece that threads into the pipe itself has broken, with half still present on the stem and the other half still threaded into the pipe. Replace both pieces as described in a prior post and you'll be set.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@jeff540, THANK YOU. I was looking at the pipe last night and wondering why plastic was in the stem. Based on your post, we have an answer! Broken off piece. Now I know to remove it and replace the whole system.
I can't thank you all enough! This is a great pipe and now it will go back into rotation.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
You guys nailed it. Some shots of the mortise and tenon extraction. Easy! I was amazed at all the gunk behind the tenon. Normally I keep my pipes pretty clean, but this shows proof that sometimes it's good to change out these plastic mortise/tenon systems on Meerschaum pipes. I will post pictures of the final steps when I get the replacements in the mail.
lRyFzuN.jpg

8Ji4FIg.jpg

zLbEjLc.jpg

GmiTmxi.jpg

aYYiXG8.jpg

P27mSMH.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Got the replacement tenon/mortise parts from Paykoc today. Super fast service, only three day turn around.
This is super easy. Thanks to everyone for the help. It works perfectly now.
Old vs New

6SFK30W.jpg

New

fy2d1CF.jpg

Just screw them in and done

x5OUOrl.jpg

Perfect fit

TDB3kxs.jpg

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Nice! Sweet looking pipe, too.
Now you’ve got me thinking I ought to swap out the fittings on my meers to freshen them up.
Ren

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I definitely would do that. I got 9 sets for $11.50 with $3 shipping. It’s a cheap and easy project. After seeing my original tenon above I was amazed at all the gunk. And that’s from a guy who cleans his pipes well and rarely smokes Meerschuam. I can only imagine what they would look like with moderate to heavy use in rotation.

dragospiper

Lurker
Apr 27, 2017
Guys I got a few questions! I need to replace the mortis and tenon on my meer as well but don’t know what to buy? Is there different sizes for them? Mine look to be a bit bigger width wise as anything I’ve seen online or the ones on this thread. Are all the same size? Should I just buy some from online and see if they work? Thank you

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I
Guys I got a few questions! I need to replace the mortis and tenon on my meer as well but don’t know what to buy? Is there different sizes for them? Mine look to be a bit bigger width wise as anything I’ve seen online or the ones on this thread. Are all the same size? Should I just buy some from online and see if they work? Thank you
if you look on ebay there are sellers that give the size

they are so cheap you might as well just buy some from a US source and try them

Status
Not open for further replies.