PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tridens

Lurker
Nov 3, 2016
That is very cool!
It appears (at least to this newbie) that the packet kenbarnes sold could be even earlier. It bears the 1912 Patent for the first inner tube without the flange (5861/12) rather than the 1917 Patent for the inner tube with the flange (116989/17). If you look at the packet in the 1928 About Smoke, it shows the 1917 Patent.
Pipes with the 5861/12 Patent appeared until 1926 according to John Loring's charts, so it's got to be close.

tridens

Lurker
Nov 3, 2016
But....the address on kenbarnes packet is 30 (not 31a) Duke Street, which dates it 1916 or after. All other things being equal, it appears that the packet is 1916-1926, with a good case to be made that it is 1916-17.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It just occurred to me that this thread is increasingly becoming one that probably belongs on the Tobacciana History board.
Strange realization: It could well be the the only detailed investigation and breakdown of the Dunhill Inner Tube in existence (in the English speaking world, anyway). I imagine there were pamphlets & etc back in the day which laid it all out, but few (if any) survived, and it's even less likely that any survivors will ever get digitized.
Mod? Mod? Beuller? Beuller?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
[OT] Dear Scholars:
What in the world is "bowl preservative"? Surely - don't call me that!- it's a wax for the outside of the bowl.... or could it be some snake oil to be applied to the chamber?

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
What in the world is "bowl preservative"? Surely - don't call me that!- it's a wax for the outside of the bowl....

Exactly that, Surely...
dHMplF1.jpg

"The periodical use of this preservative nourishes the wood and brings out the beauty of the grain. DIRECTIONS FOR USE. Apply lightly whilst bowl is warm, afterwards polish vigorously with a soft cloth."

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What in the world is "bowl preservative"? Surely - don't call me that!- it's a wax for the outside of the bowl.... or could it be some snake oil to be applied to the chamber?
Looks like wax to me. That old tin looks like ear wax. Given the instruction to apply whilst the bowl is warm, clearly wax. The ruddy hue of the tin that Piffr posted makes me wonder if it was intended for use with the bruyere finish, which had a tendency to lose some of its hue over time.
Ahh, the mysteries of Dunhill. Little hash marks, little square stamps, all with a special meaning for the acolyte.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
The rarest thing about this tin of wax was that it was a free sample. Alfred Dunhill was certainly not renowned for giving anything away free of charge.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
The ruddy hue of the tin that Piffr posted makes me wonder if it was intended for use with the bruyere finish, which had a tendency to lose some of its hue over time.

interestingly, I did acquire another sample tin last year with some wax still in it. It was not as red as this one, it was more of a honey colour which leads me to believe that there may have been two types, one for Bruyere and one for root-finished pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.