PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charles99

Lurker
Apr 27, 2018
I’m wondering if anyone can recommend an equivalent for McClelland’s Three Oaks Original?
Someone told me that McClelland actually sent a list of equivalents to its dealers, so I’d be curious what’s listed there...
I tried G.L. Pease’s Abingdon, which was similar but lacked a certain sweetness/mildness that I liked in Three Oaks Original.
Thanks for any guidance!

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Nothing I can recall comes to mind. The Virginias McClelland gave access to Tad Gage are fairly unique IMHO. Been a while since I popped an original. Mostly put away the Syrian 3 Oaks. Both are the work of Tad Gage.

Mike S.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I think Wilderness compares favorably to 3 Oaks Syrian. The 3 Oaks Syrian is a little stronger in the smoky, Syrian Latakia department while Wilderness is softer. Both are exceptional blends, IMO.

charles99

Lurker
Apr 27, 2018
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Woodsroad is correct, I was looking for a non-McClelland replacement. It sounds like I'm just going to have look for something new and distinctive!
Everyone used to talk about Three Oaks Syrian, which was a great tobacco, but I actually had a slight preference for Three Oaks Original. It was so incredibly well balanced and easy to smoke, no one element overpowering the others.
Next on my list to try is Pease's Kensington...

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
My two favorite tobaccos are 3 Oaks Syrian and Wilderness. The answer is NO, you won't find anything that is equivalent. These are the two best blends every created, in my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.