PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Anyone have any thoughts on any of these offerings? I'm curious, but not quite curious enough to commit.
Impressions?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Love them. Very smooth, I smoke them as a "palette cleanser" between heavy latakia and/or oriental blends. But honestly I can't tell much difference between the Dark, Ebony and Special varieties. I think I prefer the Dark.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Excellent. Good to know, thanks bigvan. I think I'll pick up one or two tins when the budget opens up. They just missed the cut on my last (and admittedly outlandish) TAD order.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
They're totally different, the dark is awesome, really really smokey flavour, whereas the special is way smoother and not as strong but very very nice. I haven't tried the ebony, but it depends if you want a smoother one go with the special, whereas if you want a bit stronger one go with the dark. Personally I'd get them both, but find the dark more to my liking, but the special is awesome also. But they're quite different. The dark is 5 va's blended with cajun black whereas the special is 2 va's with the cajun black.

Cajun Black is the first new pipe tobacco component in more than forty years. It starts as Virginia seed, grown in Kentucky. Then smoked and finally pressed and cured in barrels the same as Perique tobacco.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Thanks for the insight, Andrew. I don't think I've ever had the different varieties open at the same time, so maybe I should do a head to head comparison.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Being a Perique fan, I tried the Cajun Dark, and I was surprised by how smokey it tasted. It reminded me of Latakia very much

-- which for me is not so good. It wasn't exactly like Latakia, and I did manage to smoke the whole tin, but the fire cured leaf

was a bit much for me.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
After the previous post, I checked my cellar and found that a couple of bowlfuls of Dark were left in the Mason jar.

Having tasted it again, I would compare it to 5100 Virginia Red Cake with a smokiness from the Kentucky grown Virginia

that was fire cured and Perique-processed. It has a dark, sweet plummy taste with a smokey envelope and finish. Not bad.

I'll bet you could replicate the taste, more or less, by mixing a dash of Latakia with 5100.

Status
Not open for further replies.