McClelland... oh McClelland... you left us too soon!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2018
So, I’m new to the site but have been enjoying the pleasures of pipe smoking for nearly four years now.
Recently, I took a six month hiatus from my pipes for no particular reason, but have since picked them back up... only to find that my favorite brand had shut its doors, with my preferred blend entirely out of stock everywhere I looked.
So, my fellow pipe smokers, does anyone know of a facsimile to McClellands Avenue A.M. that isn’t Dunhill EMP? I currently have a full tin of Dunhill, but it’s not the same(obviously)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You know Dunhill went under too don't you? Searching for a suitable replacement may be a lost cause due to the uniqueness of Mike and Mary's tobaccos. Many great blends left out there though. Good luck!

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/mcclelland-avenue-blend-a-m-pipe-tobacco/1468359/
AM Pipe was created to fill the void during Dunhill Early Morning Pipe's protracted absence from the US, but it stands on its own as a wonderfully light Latakia blend with a delicate flavor that's perfect for a bowl in the morning. Sweet and smooth Virginias are mated to superior Orientals and just enough top-notch Latakia to be interesting without being intrusive.
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/mcclelland-avenue-blend-p-m-pipe-tobacco/1468357/
P.M. Pipe was created as a replacement for Dunhill Nightcap while it was unavailable in the US. Even though that revered blend has returned, P.M. Pipe has a unique richness that's all its own. This blend of Virginias, Orientals and Latakia that is deepened and spiced by the addition of tangy Perique is an ideal choice for an evening smoke.

mnewb1

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2018
I came across this as I was enjoying, a rare these days, bowl oh Frog Morton Celler

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
While I cannot offer a recommendation, I had a bowl of Frog Morton tonight; actually first bowl since my dental implants. It was oh so good. I am rationing my McClelland blends.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I fall in the same shoes as OP, McClelland being my favorite producer and their closing caught me unawares. Luckliy I placed a larger order online a month prior to their announced closing just by coincidence and I was able to find a few favorites at local B&M shortly after they closed.
Anyway, for a mildly sweet, light Latakia blend that actually has good flavor and mouthfeel I'd recommend Royalty by Davidoff.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Come to the Pipe Show in Vegas next week. I will have a few tins of Frog's Cellar to sell.
There are several thousand other blends, some of which will please.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Grieving is a very individual process, and I can't tell you how to do it. However, as I keep saying (like a parrot on a perch) we live in a golden age of pipe blends and the offers are vast and various, so sample around in small quantities, and you will discover blends to your hearts content that will bliss you out. When you're ready to continue life without McCelland and Dunhill blends, step into the light and enjoy the plenty, while it lasts.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Cotton #1 is probably a great choice, and worth checking out anyway. Don't look for a facsimile, look for a new favorite. Grab some War Horse Bar while you are at it. Not because it is like Avenue A.M., but because then you can try more tobacco from this great house of tobacco.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
SToP's blends, John Cotton and War Horse are examples of a great small company's attempt to reproduce some old favorites...better stock up 'cause they, too, may disappear.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Possibly the Sutliff Krumble Cake Red Va is an alternative that just hit the stores if you look. Have not tried, but Jimlmks gives it 3.5 out of 4, so that's good enogh for moi.

Status
Not open for further replies.