Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesc

Lurker
Jun 15, 2015
Hi Everyone,
I am late to the game and just found out the news today of McClellands.
I started smoking cigars in 2010 and started my pipe journey in 2015.

The first pipe tobacco I ever had was Frog Morton on the Town.

The first pipe tobacco I fell in love with was McClelland No. 24.
Although I smoke mainly cigars I enjoy 1 bowl every month as a change of pace.

In my short journey I've sampled about 50 different blends and began selling off those I did not like.

My plan for 2018 was to whittle down my cellar to a few blends that I enjoyed and sample a new tin every few months.
Sadly my plans will be exponentially harder because of my preference for McClelland blends.

With my smoking pace of 1 bowl a moth I anticipate my McClelland stock to only last 30 years (I am in my 20's).
I know there are many other top quality blends from other makers and I know folks that hate that ketchup twang but McClellaand will always be my first love.
Condolences to new and future smokers who have not been able to sample anything McClelland.

My cabinet is open to anyone in Hawaii who has yet to try a McClelland blend.
Aloha,

James

mojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2015
Kansas City
I was late to the game as well......found out a couple days ago. In 2015 when I started my pipe journey, I ordered 1 tin each of the Frog Mortons.....they are stored in small mason jars as we speak (tins are displayed in my hall).

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
McLelland number 12 was my first love, followed by Dark Star, and then many of their Straight Virginia’s and Orientals. I’ve tried lots of Va’s, and nothing else has that much loved catchup-y twang. But I’d found myself smoking fewer and fewer of them as my tastes matured, so I have a good cellar on them also. I look forward to cracking them open for special occasions and remembering. Next time I’m in Hawaii, or you’re in CO, lets fire some up!

tnfan

Lifer
Jan 9, 2012
Franklin, Tennessee
I was also unaware of their demise until about 4 weeks ago. I basically took a hiatus from pipes and pipe tobacco almost 3years ago. Very sad but understandable. Unfortunately I did not have a lot of their tobacco cellared. Not the end of the world though. Still some excellent tobacco out there.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Did someone say mammaries?
th

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Join Pipestuds mailing list.

Once a week a small quantity becomes available for purchase. Due to time zones I have never managed to get any (all sold before I wake up in the morning)... But there is often a great range, at fair pricing.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Just opened this tin of Beacon when the sun finally showed up, down to two in reserve. They were summer blends for me, I smoke smaller bowls of what's left now.
20180415_012930.jpg

20180415_013017.jpg

20180415_012811.jpg

jamesc

Lurker
Jun 15, 2015
Thanks for the tips everyone.
I during early 2015 I was buying tins left and right not giving a rip who blended what or how rare anything was.

I naturally fell into my cellar being mostly McClelland.
Some good non McClelland tobaccos I enjoy are Solani & Peter Stokkebye.
I agree not the end of the world but end of a special era.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Christmas Cheer 2004 (smoked in'06) was the first tobacco to teach me the magic of a straight VA tobacco. I became enamored with their VA tobaccos after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.