PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
I would really appreciate any thoughts/insights on forum member's favorite McClelland's blends. The sheer volume of their lineup makes my mind go numb (in a good way).
I couldn't care less about concerns with personal preferences, differences in taste, etc. No right or wrong answer here. Just you top pick or picks and maybe a little bit on why you like it.
Thanks!

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Dark Star/2035 - dark stoved straight Virginia. Smooth and sweet.
Welcome to the forum!

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I highly recommend trying McClelland's Red and Black.
This might be the best blend I've ever smoked!
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9893/mcclelland-red-and-black

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
+1 on Dark Star. Blackwoods Flakes is along the same lines but, of course, different. Very good stuff. If you like and can tame Va's, you can't go wrong. Both are wet flakes and take a bit of time to prepare. I love the prep and the whole ritual of pipe smoking. The time spent with these blends is rewarded by a very sweet and tasty smoke.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I like and cellar these:
Tudor Castle, my favorite of all blends regardless of source.

"Tudor Castle uses a very high sugar content bright Virginia with a good amount of rare No.1 grade Yenidje, Red Virginia both dark stoved and raw red plus a full amount of barrel aged Louisiana Perique.

This is a rare and expensive blend. It is designed to age due to the very high grade bright very high sugar content Virginia leaf. Pressed flake produced in the same vein as Beacon."
Beacon

"Bright high sugar content Virginia Cake made with lemon yellow and orange Virginia leaf along with a healthy dose of seven-year-old Louisiana Perique."
No. 24 (Matured Virginias)

"An unusual form of Flake tobacco, its deep chestnut color results from the extended aging of full flavored Old and Middle Belt leaf very lightly seasoned with Drama."
Frog Morton on the Town

I completely agree with DK on this one:

"UPDATE:

The more I smoke this, the better it suits me. This is not a classical English/Balkan mixture but I think it's destined to become a classic oriental. The McClelland blenders are true artisans and I think this, quite frankly, is one of their most inspired creations. Updating from 3 to a hearty 4 stars. Well done, McClellands!"

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Another +1 on Red&Black and Dark Star. But depends on the genre you're looking for really, I love most their VA based blends but I'm not big on their English blends (with a couple exceptions).

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
Wow, quick responses! Thanks so much.
As far as preferences, I don't have any yet. I have tried Mississippi River, Plum Pudding, White Knight, Dunhill Flake and Peterson's 3Ps and enjoy them all.
I have the Mac Baren HH series waiting to be cracked open next because the price was right on P&C.com with their build your own sampler offer.
I would love to start cellaring deep, but I am going to hold off for now. My thought is that I am going to go wide with trying as many tins options as possible before I go deep in cellaring. It's more expensive at first, but I don't want to find myself with large volumes of tobacco that I like but prefer others.
Thanks again to all of you for offering up your favorites!

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Balkan Blue, Christmas Cheer, Frog Morton series are great choice smokes.
As for cellaring. If you like a blend, buy 5 tins. If you end up preferring another blend, then you still have 5 tins that you enjoy, or that you can sell. Tobacco doesnt lose its price.
If you paid 10 bucks a tin for a blend, more than likely you will be able to get that money back if you sell it, possibly more if its aged a bit.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
St. James Woods is one of my all time favourite tobaccos, an excellent VaPer in my opinion.

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
Anyone know a financial institution willing to give out low interest loans to fund a tobacco cellar?
Maybe I should write to C&D, Pease, McClelland, etc and offer to place their logos on my car for advertising purposes. Professional Pipe Smoker, there I've found my life's calling. 8)

May 4, 2015
I've thought about taking out a signature loan to make one massive purchase as well... Hmm Credit Unions do that sort of thing...

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I agree with the Frog Morton suggestions, all of them, but Cellar is my fave. Another of McClelland's is one you don't hear too much about, and that is Blakeney's Best Latakia Flake. A nice cool smoking latakia blend, similar to the wonderful but hard to get Esoterica Penzance.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I really enjoy the 221B series. They arent high enough to make me want to stockpile them, but they are good nonetheless. Black Shag is my favorite of them.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Another vote for Tudor Castle. I don't smoke it often (I like more nicotine than McClelland blends usually provide), but it's outstanding and fairly unique. There are other VaPerO's out there, but I think this one's the best.
Also, Christmas Cheer if you like straight VA's.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have smoked every blend they currently have available, and my favorite three are Yenidje Highlander, Oriental No. 6, and Stave Aged.

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
chasingembers, that is awesome. I can't imagine having tried them all. I sure look forward to the journey ahead.
Huge thanks to all of you who have posted your favorites. I have been reading the forum posts for some time now and am absolutely impressed with how helpful all of you are.
Thanks and have a great weekend all!

Status
Not open for further replies.