PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have the tendency to jump-the-gun on Christmas. For instance, I begin playing Christmas music during Thanksgiving weekend. When I was a kid, I would sneak a peek at my presents and try to rewrap them so my sin would go undetected. When I received my tin of McClelland Holiday Spirit 2013, I immediately popped the tin and lit up a bowl. My lack of patience is contrary to the fine art of pipe smoking!
Tin Description: "This mild, smooth blend of Burley, Virginias and Cavendish tobaccos is flavored with dark rum, pecan and cocoa..."
Tin Aroma: Smells of rum and cocoa with a slight hint of pecans.
Tin Moisture: Slightly moist. Requires a minimum of dry time.
Room Aroma: Very Pleasant (except to anti-tobacco prejudiced females). Crowds will be moving downwind just to get a sniff of this Christmassy concoction!
Smoking Experience: I have smoked ten bowls of this stuff, mostly in cobs. At first light, you taste delicious tobaccos, rum and cocoa and a taste I can only describe as aromatic cedar. Yes, that's right...cedar (Maybe I was just misinterpreting the pecan flavor). I suppose, in some regions, cedars are cut as Christmas trees. I think cedar is a pleasant taste and blends well with the other flavors. The tobacco packs well, burns well, with few relights and minimal (if any) tongue bite. This is a delicious smoke that will give you a break from your usual fare. I am learning that all aromatics are not created equal. Most of the good ones come in tins IMHO. I have yet to be disappointed by a McClelland offering. I plan on smoking this between bowls of McClelland Christmas Cheer 2012. Enjoy!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks for the review - Thanksgiving Day mine gets opened, and the Christmas music goes on. I love this time of year!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I have yet to crack mine ... but it is getting harder to stop myself. It is the only unopened tin I have that I'm drooling over. I may have to go buy something else to smoke until then because all I have on hand (not cellared) is a pouch of Erin Go Bragh (which I think is good, but not an everyday smoke) and a mix jar of the end of different blends: Treebeard, Old Toby, Longbottom Leaf (all JFH) and Coffee Pot Pass (a local B&M blend).
End of October, I will crack that bad boy open.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Roth said:

I'm not much of an aro guy...
I didn't think I was either. I have since discovered that there are a few I like. As a beginner, I smoked only OTC aros which are laced with humectants. They had a chemical taste, according to my palate, and took forever to dry. They contribute to tongue bite and a general dislike for pipe smoking. I recently began sampling tinned aros with much more success. Nothing will replace the non-aro blends but I enjoy the variety. I like a good steak but sometimes dessert is nice.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I have two tins of CC 2013. I'll open one this holiday season, smoke through the New Year, and jar what's left, if any. The second tin is for the future. Looking forward to it.

mtnfolkmike

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2013
I need to try this blend (and Christmas Cheer).. I have been eyeing it for awhile now.. I think it may be on my next order..

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I tried my tin of Holiday Spirit and have to say that it is simply awesome. Great room note, as well as a great smoking tobacco. My father tried some last weekend, and he ordered one for himself this week.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
Well you all have convinced me to crack a tin of this. I ordered 2 HS and 2 CC just last week and have yet to open any. Maybe i'll crack one of each and cellar the others for a year or so.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Great review! I have ordered a few tins of this blend each of the past 3 years. It is my favorite Aromatic. I highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.