PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have been working my way through this tin for a couple of days now, and what a treat it has been. My tin is from 2007 and I could not of asked for a more balanced smoke. I find the orientals and virginias really play off one and other in an almost sweet and sour flavor and slightly spicy body. Also, I find the chamber dimensions really play a factor, if the bowl is too narrow or too wide, the spicyness of the orientals is very foward, but when you find the right combination, slightly larger than 3/4", magic!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Man I love these Grand Orientals from McClelland. I'm finishing off a tin of Yenidje Highlander and tin of Smyrna #1. I think the Yenidje Highlander is a bit better. Both have this awesome natural sweetness to them.
I'm definitely going to have to try Yenice Agonya next.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Yeah, this has been the second blend that I have tried out of McClelland Grand Oriental Line. The first was the yenidje highlander, and I liked that very much. However, it is the blends without Latakia that I am interested in now. I'm trying to collect all the blends in the series to see what ones I lke best. As of now, this has been a wonderful start :)

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I am reluctantly coming to the conclusion that I enjoy 'English' over Va's. This is tough for me to admit, and I'm not sure exactly why.
I rotate each day English (meaning of course, with Latakia or oriental-even though the definition is incorrect) and the Va's and Va/Pers.
I have stockpiled 2x as many Va and Va/pers than the others; my taste for Lat and oriental is just growing and I don't have enough.
I guess we all change during the this journey.
Going to order some of the other orientals to go with my Smyrna No.1 that I really like; thanks for the suggestions.
I'm old and reluctant to change. :)

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
That stuff sounds divine!
Allan, at the Seattle Pipe Club last week, I bought several tins of English tobaccos from a nice lady who is phasing those out ofher cellar. So all you need to do is find someone like that where you are and swap them for some of your excess VA.
=D

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
-D
Thanks for the suggestion but I think I'm going hold the va's and let them age. I'm not just ready yet to give them up entirely
After all, I could change my tastes again

Aug 14, 2012
The Agonya and Supreme are extraordinary. The most subtle stuff I have smoked. I have many tins aging.

Status
Not open for further replies.