PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
So, this morning I sat with McClelleand Dark Star for about an hour for the first time. Used a Morta pipe and the fold and stuff method. I have to say I couldn't quite catch the same experience and coax out the flavors that other people have found with this blend. Upon first light it was spicy and robust - I liked that and didn't expect it. What was frustrating was the pipe went out very easily over and over. After many relights I could catch a flavor here and there. A little bit of the ketchup - I thought I caught a little bit of honey at one point. aaaaand that was about it. Either my palate is just not as refined as I thought or this blend just really takes more time.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Dark Star is probably my all time favorite tobacco. If you are going to fold and stuff you will need to rub out half a flake and gravity feed it into the bowl. On top of the flakes.
And I mean REALLY rub it out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm keeping a tin of that and plan to open it by-and-by, since this is one of the blends that is supposed to reward some age. I definitely plan to rub it out -- easy because that is what I prefer to do. I understand the cut is pretty uneven, so it seems to benefit from being broken up for better evenness. If you get it right, I hear it is one of the primo Virginia experiences, but you have to work at it, it seems.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Have you dried it or did you just crack the tin? You have to really let it dry first

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Dark Star is always hit or miss with me. When its "On" its out of this world, when its "off", its just Meh..... I can't get this one to smoke consistently either, but its worth trying for. I almost always rub this one out too. If I recall, and my memory is not great, but I think this is one that Pipestud pulses in a coffee grinder for a few seconds..... I think there's a few threads here somewhere about it....... :puffy:

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
It wasn't fresh out of the tin, it had been drying for a bit but it looks like not long enough. It was pretty flame resistant. I've been going through a few of the old threads - looks like putting it in the microwave and then grinding it up pretty heavily helps..

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I have had my best luck cutting it into "cubes". Hard to really call them cubes because the flakes are broken to begin with. In any case I like several hours of drying for it. Then it burns really well, better than most. It looks like smoldering coals in a furnace. Sweet if you go slow.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Like Beefeater33, I have mixed success with Dark Star. May have to try cube cutting it next time. I have several 50 gr. tins from 1999 but I always seem to pass them over in favor of a more sure bet.
Mike S.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
What I do: microwave for 8 seconds on a medium setting, gently dab a paper towel on both sides for a second (which will absorb a surprising amount of moisture) and then let it cool on a wire cooling rack. After a few minutes of air time it should be ready to burn. This is the procedure I now use for everything that would otherwise need a full day of air time to dry (s.gawith).

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I just want to thank you all of this forum. After going through the threads and the advice given here - I had it really going today! I left it out to dry overnight and then rubbed it out very finely before smoking. Only a few relights at the beginning but I had a very enjoyable smoke going. I really appreciate all the advice. That really is one fussy tobacco but well worth it!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Dark Star definitely takes some time to understand but one you get it, it's pure gold! I dry mine out for at least an hour before I smoke it. Are you new to the pipe? I certainly wouldn't recommend it for beginners. I used to hate hearing a blend wasn't for beginners when I was a novice, I thought that was just smug, arrogant advice but now I totally understand it as I didn't understand a whole lot of blends when I was a rookie so I wrote them off as over hyped blends. Once I revisited a lot of those blends I had written off with a more experienced pallet I fell in love with most all of them one of those being Dark Star. Put it aside for a later date and re-examine it under a different light, ya might just fall in love. : )

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Stan, you need someone to safeguard your CC. It will be a tough job but I'm willing to standfast on your account.

Status
Not open for further replies.