Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklyn22

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and just getting back into pipe smoking after a several year hiatus.
I really love the McClelland Christmas Cheer type Virginia flake tobaccos however, I never seem to catch it before its sold out everywhere.
Does anyone know if one of their other regular tinned blends would be fairly similar? Say for example, No. 22?
Thank you,

Frank
Title Corrected Rule #9 Thanks, Zack

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm aging two McClellands tins, one of them Christmas Cheer 2015, so I can't match tastes, but any or many of McClelland Virginias would be a good bet. I'd go for something that looks good in itself rather than trying to match up with the Cheer. Just my notion.

May 4, 2015
Christmas Cheer is different every year, so finding something comparable isn't really a possibility. I agree that if you like Christmas Cheer you might explore the many other Virginia offerings from McClelland. I've never met one of them I didn't like.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sadly, Christmas Cheer will no longer be produced due to the FDA insanity. Their Red Cake is really good though.

franklyn22

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
Hello and thanks for the replies. I missed the whole FDA thing - what is the deal and why can't they make a Christmas Cheer anymore? Very sad news to me.

I missed the whole FDA thing - what is the deal and why can't they make a Christmas Cheer anymore?

Well, the FDA is in scramble mode to figure out what they will really do, as they have been backtracking recently on cigars and such, so who knows. But, the reason a bulk is impossible is that it is different every year. Which year's CC did you want something similar to?

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
That's a very loaded question. Look through forum posts, the FDA put deeming regulations in. However, yes, try all of the McClelland Virginia flakes. You can't go wrong. You'll want to sample every single one of them, and then buy a few tins for the cellar of each.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
#22 definitely bears some similarity to Christmas Cheer and is a good VA in it's own right. It's sweet and tangy fresh from the tin (no additional aging needed), but it's not quite as complex as CC.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chasing', I wish you hadn't reminded me about the unlikelihood of future Christmas Cheer! I find it difficult enough to pop a new tin already, and now I don't know if I'll ever get this one open. That's a sad thought ... no future Christmas Cheer.

franklyn22

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
It wasn't a specific year of Christmas Cheer I was trying to match but rather the style (flake Virginia) with similar flavor. I think I'll give the McCranies red flake a try next. Thanks!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
chasing', I wish you hadn't reminded me about the unlikelihood of future Christmas Cheer!
After losing Mephisto years ago, I learned the benefits of tobacco hoarding the hard way. If you like it, buy a lot of it.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
It wasn't a specific year of Christmas Cheer I was trying to match but rather the style (flake Virginia) with similar flavor. I think I'll give the McCranies red flake a try next. Thanks!
Then any of their Matured Virginias would fit the bill, #24 and #27 are my favorites.
The great (?) thing about them is that they either don't sell very well or McC makes a lot of them. When I was building my Mature Va stash, even the ones I got online came with 2-3 years on them already. At local shops I've founds some with nearly 10 years of aging - I gladly pay the 50% surcharge of local B&Ms to add these kind of gems to my cellar :puffy:
Something you may explore in the future is making your custom mixture with their Matured Va and their Grand Orientals varieties. Both of these marry amazingly!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"McC 2015 or McC #27...both good and similar to xmas cheer"
I can't speak for McClelland's #27 as it is one of the few straight Virginias from them I haven't tried but #2015 is a VaPer (and a damned good one too) and tastes nothing like the Christmas Cheer (2016 & 2017) that I have smoked.
As said above, I would work my way through all of their straight Virginia blends until you find the one that really speaks to you.
Regards,
Jay.

Oct 3, 2016
I worried about having to ask this question myself with the FDA regulations possibly becoming a permanent fixture. I have 5 tins of CC left, 2 of 16 and 3 of 17. I doubt I'll open them for some time. I told myself last year that I'd enjoy a tin of 2016 and then hide the rest. So far I've managed to stay away from it. Maybe we'll get lucky McClelland will have a stash of the 17 to release again but I doubt it.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Well as soon as more McCranies flake comes out you should buy some. I can't tell the difference between it and christmas cheer.
Also the McCranies ribbon is like McClelland's 5100. I'm still working on a 1983 tin of McCranies ribbon. It's smooth as silk.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Christmas Cheer vintages feature different Virginias from year to year. I prefer those featuring Virginias other than red Virginias. For me, I have McClelland 22 and, especially 27 put away for a rainy day.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.