PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
I opened my first tin of Brindle Flake this afternoon. It's a delightful smoke with a nicely spicy aftertaste, but the aroma when I opened the tin caught me completely by surprise. I've always had a really good nose (I can frequently tell what country good coffees are from just by the aroma of the beans), but this evening I'm not so sure.
OK, here goes - I know this is going to sound nuts, but when I open the tin of Brindle Flake, I get a pronounced aroma of ketchup. (I told you it was going to sound nuts.)
I'd love the opinions of other folks familiar with Brindle Flake. Meanwhile, I'm going to go smoke another bowl of it. :)

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
McClelland is known for this. I smoke mostly McClelland tobaccos and honestly, I don't even smell it anymore.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Yeah I can't deny that I have grown to love the ketchup/bbq saucey sort of fermented smell from McClelland Virginias.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I have grown to love the ketchup/bbq saucey sort of fermented smell from McClelland Virginias.
I agree with this statement completely. I used to be so turned off os most McClelland blends, but I've finally come to enjoy it. Most recently when I opened a tin of their 221b Black Shag that I had traded for. It smells delicious! The tin note doesn't affect the taste of the smoke, though.
-Jason

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Usually with most McClelland blends the ketchupy smell doesn't transfer to the smoke. It usually tastes better!

Status
Not open for further replies.