PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I only use a DuPont lighter that's dipped in holy water and blessed by a priest... this way I won't get cancer.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Matches at home, Bic in the car.
I love the tradition of matches, but not in the car. Burned too many seats and put holes in pants with matches and tobacco jumping out of a too-full bowl.

aeropuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2016
You might be surprised at the number of post about this in the archives. I use both Bic & Zippo.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'm partial to fire. I don't care if it comes from a 99 cent lighter, or a match. That said I think matches are a giant pain in the ass and waste of time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Incidentally, matches can be used outdoors and even in a fairly strong wind, but it takes some learning. You have to use wind breaks (trees, buildings, cars, etc.) and your hands to further shelter the match, and you have to get the match down into the pipe bowl as soon as it flairs. To old time smokers, this was a standard skill.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Back to the wind or breeze, hold the match parallel to the palm. When you strike it your fingers will naturally curl and the back of your hand will form a further protection. After the initial flare, apply the flame, holding the bowl with the last two fingers and thumb of your other hand, further shielding from the breeze with the remaining fingers. Sounds complicated, tain't, and soon becomes second nature. But, with a good Zippo in your pocket it's not a necessary talent. Well, until you find yourself with an empty lighter.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Totally agree with MSO and Warren. And there is this one:
1e62ae06f591d28742c7b0f603f45a93.jpg

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
Matches for charring then Bics after the 2nd relight. When indoors, Bics all the way, wife not too keen on the matches' room note.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I'd prefer matches (wood ones you can strike anywhere), but as I only smoke outdoors anymore, they're more frustration and mess than they're worth. I use a Zippo except when I travel by plane. Then I buy a disposible butane when I land. They're a PITA outdoors but at least they work one-handed, can be re-lit quickly again and again, and don't make it look like a beaver set up housekeeping around your shoes.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I prefer matches as I can feel the difference in taste when using butane as it is burning hotter. However practically for the second half of the bowl I use butane lighter as with matches I have the problem of burning the rim and my fingers when going deep in the bowl with the matches. How can successfully be used matches deep in the bowl without undergoing these problems?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Last time this came up I said 'matches only, forever' or something to that effect. Now I have almost no indoor smoking and I am hypocritically enjoying the convenience of a bic lighter for almost every bowl. I cannot tell a difference in taste.
Isaac

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have the problem of burning the rim and my fingers when going deep in the bowl with the matches. How can successfully be used matches deep in the bowl without undergoing these problems?
Keep the flame above the pipe not down into it, and suck harder.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I prefer wood matches. I miss the Ohio Blue Tip Strike-Anywhere matches you could get a couple decades ago. Outdoors, though, a couple Zippos with pipe inserts get their share of action.

Status
Not open for further replies.