PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I was speaking of @jiminks thoughts re: Chatham Manor and Carter Hall Match. In one of the print outs I have from another forum, he seems to treat them interchangeably.
I pointed out in detail that there are several differences between the two in my review. You'd never mistake one for the other.

Oct 7, 2016
I pointed out in detail that there are several differences between the two in my review. You'd never mistake one for the other.

Below I s is what I found. I get the distinction between Chatham Manor and Carter Hall, and I wouldn’t confuse the two. However, you refer also, in the title, to Carter Hall Match, but if you are comparing and contrasting it with Chatham Manor, it isn’t obvious to me. There is another thread on this forum, I am reasonably sure, that seemed, from memory, to conclude that Sutliff Carter Hall Match and Chatham Manor are identical. Forget original, still made, Carter Hall.

The difference is several bucks a pound between Sutliff Carter Hall March and Chatham Manor. I am very sorry to have inserted myself in this conversation since I have no intention of purchasing Carter Hall, Sutliff Carter Hall Match, or Chatham Manor, but for those who are I thought I might be doing them a service by possibly saving a few bucks.

From what I had saved:

“Chatham Manor (Carter Hall Match):
The original Carter Hall is fairly nutty with some molasses, and a mild chocolate taste. Chatham Manor, which is a Match for CH, is a slightly more chocolatey, a little less nutty with about the same amount of molasses. I think there’s just a little more red Virginia in the CM. Both have the same toppings: light bourbon and cocoa. Both burn well and even with very few relights. Sometimes, there can be a cigarette note in CH when puffed too fast. That’s not true of the Chatham Manor. Overall, while a close Match, Chatham Manor has a little richer, deeper, more consistent flavor that doesn’t weaken at the finish or leave any dottle. Some times, Carter Hall can lose some flavor near the end, and if puffed very fast, could sport a harsh note or two. That doesn’t happen with this version.”

If you have compared Chatham Manor and Sutliff Carter Hall Match elsewhere, I have not been able to find it. There are no reviews of Sutliff Carter Hall Match on Tobacco Reviews. I think there used to be.

Reactions: Burley Guy

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Below I s is what I found. I get the distinction between Chatham Manor and Carter Hall, and I wouldn’t confuse the two. However, you refer also, in the title, to Carter Hall Match, but if you are comparing and contrasting it with Chatham Manor, it isn’t obvious to me. There is another thread on this forum, I am reasonably sure, that seemed, from memory, to conclude that Sutliff Carter Hall Match and Chatham Manor are identical. Forget original, still made, Carter Hall.

The difference is several bucks a pound between Sutliff Carter Hall March and Chatham Manor. I am very sorry to have inserted myself in this conversation since I have no intention of purchasing Carter Hall, Sutliff Carter Hall Match, or Chatham Manor, but for those who are I thought I might be doing them a service by possibly saving a few bucks.

From what I had saved:

“Chatham Manor (Carter Hall Match):
The original Carter Hall is fairly nutty with some molasses, and a mild chocolate taste. Chatham Manor, which is a Match for CH, is a slightly more chocolatey, a little less nutty with about the same amount of molasses. I think there’s just a little more red Virginia in the CM. Both have the same toppings: light bourbon and cocoa. Both burn well and even with very few relights. Sometimes, there can be a cigarette note in CH when puffed too fast. That’s not true of the Chatham Manor. Overall, while a close Match, Chatham Manor has a little richer, deeper, more consistent flavor that doesn’t weaken at the finish or leave any dottle. Some times, Carter Hall can lose some flavor near the end, and if puffed very fast, could sport a harsh note or two. That doesn’t happen with this version.”

If you have compared Chatham Manor and Sutliff Carter Hall Match elsewhere, I have not been able to find it. There are no reviews of Sutliff Carter Hall Match on Tobacco Reviews. I think there used to be.

Chatham Manor by design, is a match for Carter Hall. I have not tried the Match Carter Hall, which be well be the same thing as CM, but I am not able to answer that question.

Oct 7, 2016
Chatham Manor by design, is a match for Carter Hall. I have not tried the Match Carter Hall, which be well be the same thing as CM, but I am not able to answer that question.
Well I guess I will have to order some of each now. I wish I could find the thread that I remember.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
When comparing Carter Hall to anything - including itself - it is very important to distinguish between whether it came in the pouch or the tub In my humble opinion.

Reactions: ray47

tradition

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2018
Connecticut, USA
When comparing Carter Hall to anything - including itself - it is very important to distinguish between whether it came in the pouch or the tub In my humble opinion.

I always buy the tub size when purchasing Carter Hall.

I'll be using the tub size of Carter Hall and Chatham Manor for my comparison. More to come...

Reactions: saintpeter

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I always buy the tub size when purchasing Carter Hall.

I'll be using the tub size of Carter Hall and Chatham Manor for my comparison. More to come...

Excellent! I look forward to your comparison. With pouch you need to buy two. One to ? on and one to cover it up with.

tradition

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2018
Connecticut, USA
Long time Carter Hall fan.

Comparing Carter Hall and Chatham Manor. More to come...

As noted above my comparison was from tubs of both tobaccos.

Chatham Manor is a very good equal / substitute for Carter Hall.

I find CH smokes easier, no relights required. Had to relight CM once or twice.

The CM topping is more prominent, almost making it an aromatic.

These two are so close, I'm not sure if CM would replace my future CH purchases.

Both are worth a try.

As a side note: I usually smoke Carter Hall in the morning or when my palate needs a rest from more premium blends.

Reactions: Elric

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
I have found I am not a big fan of burly (unless in its dark fired form), but, Chatham Manor has become a favorite of mine. Someday I may get around to trying Carter Hall, but no rush as I enjoy Chatham Manor so much.

Reactions: Bowie

tradition

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2018
Connecticut, USA
As noted above my comparison was from tubs of both tobaccos.

Chatham Manor is a very good equal / substitute for Carter Hall.

I find CH smokes easier, no relights required. Had to relight CM once or twice.

The CM topping is more prominent, almost making it an aromatic.

These two are so close, I'm not sure if CM would replace my future CH purchases.

Both are worth a try.

As a side note: I usually smoke Carter Hall in the morning or when my palate needs a rest from more premium blends.

I'm revisiting this topic after spending a few more weeks smoking the two and IMHO I'm giving the edge to Carter Hall.

Reactions: Bowie

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
+1 CM all the way.

You can taste the quality of CM’s tobacco. It is richer and fuller than CH. CH is still a great codger blend, but CM has improved on the category.

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
The second bowl was dry-er? Cult Red Moon is one that wet, out of the tin, sucks. Dry it out a bit and the chocolate notes develope and it will not steam dirty your tongue.

Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Supposing that some people will like either the original or the match, maybe it is good to have them both available, so people can enjoy the blend that is just right. Sometimes the concept of a blend is good, but a tweak will make it perfect, which ever version tastes better. We know everyone doesn't like any one blend. Different strokes.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.