PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Hello gentlemen,

I would like to buy a high quality Italian Pesaro pipe.

Cant decide if to go either with Mastro de Paja, or Ser Jacopo.

What would you recommend? And why?
Also would love to hear specific pipe sugestions. What pipe model of these two makers, represents the brand the best and the italian pipe style in general.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
MdP tends to make a very small button/lip, too small for clenching imho. Ser Jac stems are just about right. Both smoke fine. I think both offer filter and non-filter pipes too, so watch for that. Italian pipes and Pesaro pipes in particular are "neo classical", right? So just about any of their takes on English/French shapes, with their added mass and exaggerated curvature will represent the Italian motif.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
MdP tends to make a very small button/lip, too small for clenching imho. Ser Jac stems are just about right. Both smoke fine. I think both offer filter and non-filter pipes too, so watch for that. Italian pipes and Pesaro pipes in particular are "neo classical", right? So just about any of their takes on English/French shapes, with their added mass and exaggerated curvature will represent the Italian motif.

Thanks!
Neoclassical and "fancy" is exactly what I am looking for in that case.
(Although usually I prefer more plain, but elegant english pipes.)

Could you give me examoles of specific models and series of Ser Jacopo?
I looking for one with a decorated band.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Thanks, I like the Leonardo, but the metal part on the top puts me off.
Is therr a pipe similar in design to that, but without the metal on the top?

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Thanks for the link!
But I do prefer a bent pipe with a decorated ring for this purchase though ...

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Just one more thought about these pipes. I have both brands in my collection, and they both smoke great, but there is one reason I like the Ser Jacopo pipes better. They are usually drilled better because they use a specialized curved drill bit to drill the the airway to the bowl on all bent pipes. This means that a pipe cleaner passes easily from button to bowl with no fussing even for full bent pipes. It's a small thing, but I still like it for what it is, and also goes to show their build quality. Both makers make beautiful pipes, you can't go wrong with either.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
I have one Ser Jacopo, essentially a bent dublin, that I got as an estate from SP. This thing smokes like a dream, far the best of all my pipes. So this has caused me to look for more of that brand. While we're on italian pipes, have about 5 don Carlos pipes, and every one smokes really well. Along with Castello, my holy trinity.

Reactions: Celius

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Just one more thought about these pipes. I have both brands in my collection, and they both smoke great, but there is one reason I like the Ser Jacopo pipes better. They are usually drilled better because they use a specialized curved drill bit to drill the the airway to the bowl on all bent pipes. This means that a pipe cleaner passes easily from button to bowl with no fussing even for full bent pipes. It's a small thing, but I still like it for what it is, and also goes to show their build quality. Both makers make beautiful pipes, you can't go wrong with either.

Thanks for your insight!
Thats one more point in favor of Ser Jacopo.
I also like the disgn of the Ser Jacopo pipes more

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
I have one Ser Jacopo, essentially a bent dublin, that I got as an estate from SP. This thing smokes like a dream, far the best of all my pipes. So this has caused me to look for more of that brand. While we're on italian pipes, have about 5 don Carlos pipes, and every one smokes really well. Along with Castello, my holy trinity.

I like the holy trinity classification!
Does Ser Jacopo has an iconic pipe shape like Castello does with its 55?

And maybe anyone knows what the pipe Philippe Dofour is holding? Its a Ser Jacopo (there is a J on the stem), but I cant find this pipe anywhere.
I really like the band.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A few years ago, I had a windfall on a project I'd done and invested in a new SJ on a remarkable SP sale. The pipe is a blast Dublin with a serpentine (subtle S shape) shank and stem, lightweight for its size, with a pleasingly open draw. I've also shopped MdP and find them attractive, but I don't own one. I can recommend SJ pipes.

Reactions: Celius

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Narrowed it down to either a Delecta or Cymatium bent biliard.
Just cant decide if to get Rusticated or Smooth.
Is rusticated a more typical finish for Ser Jacopo pipes?
Most pictures that I see, are of rusticated Ser Jacopo pipes.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Ser Jacopo are nice no doubt. I really like some of the Mastro’s, I own a few. Some I find incredibly ordinary however..

Attachments

• 56A4612F-9E18-40ED-9D27-505E17E56205.jpeg
    56A4612F-9E18-40ED-9D27-505E17E56205.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 10
  • AAB32CB8-08A2-4B18-8187-418203906766.jpeg
    AAB32CB8-08A2-4B18-8187-418203906766.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 308F38A4-3BBE-4FC1-841F-62F4D1C0891F.jpeg
    308F38A4-3BBE-4FC1-841F-62F4D1C0891F.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.