PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
So yesterday I had a snow day from work so I took the opportunity to play some video games. Throughout the day I heard the lids making a popping sound. Today I checked them and for some of them the button in the middle is no longer up. Is this a good thing?

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I don't know your answer for sure, but I would say good as it sounds like they are sealing. That's what the lids do when you are canning in hot water. Are they near a heat source? Sharing what I know but since I am not a tobacco I don't know for sure.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Where I have them stored does get indirect sunlight. What is them becoming sealed going to do to the aging process?

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
IT Helps ... Air is the enemy to any food storage. Although some here advise to keep a little breathing room in the jar others don't. I open mine to often, fetching more, to care about aging. From reading here there is aging and storage. If aging you are not accessing the tobacco for some time. Every time you open the lid you are stopping the aging process. When jarring for storage you are just keeping it fresh while you smoke it. Either way you want to keep the air down, and glass is the best.
Baggies and opened tins let air in and out they say. I have some bulks though in a good sealed baggie that have sat for a month without drying out yet, and a favorite arro that has been in a pre-opened tin since thanksgiving and it is still great. HOWEVER that won't last for long, but then again neither will the tobacco cause I'm gonna smoke it.
I jar for mostly storage, except for the tobaccos I bought and don't really like. They get aged as a side effect to the lack of interest. Even my most favorite tobacco that is expensive gets accessed at least once a week as a treat. That's the one in the pre-opened tin. It is a quality tin and has a rubber seal on the lid. Otherwise it would be in a jar as well, and if I had the space I would jar it all.
Hope that helps and is not info overload. :puffy:

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Of all the blends only one of them will really benefit from the aging process. The other four are all aero's so they won't get much better. Thanks for the info though!

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
I jar hot brewed tea in the summer time and then store in the refrigerator to make iced tea. As far as I've been able to tell, the "button" on the lid getting "sucked in" just means that the jar was hotter at one point (glass expands with heat). Once it cools down, the glass shrinks, any air inside the jar compresses, and causes a bit of suction.
I would say that as long as the jars are sealed properly, that won't make much of a difference.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
the "button" on the lid getting "sucked in" just means that the jar was hotter at one point (glass expands with heat). Once it cools down, the glass shrinks, any air inside the jar compresses, and causes a bit of suction.
And... Indirect sun may heat up the inside temp and cause a pop "up", especially if its cold there(usually is colder near a window) This could possibly reduce the temp and suction inside pulling from outside allowing more air inside. More air inside would then react faster to a rise in temps(when sun comes up) than it was at initial closure or seal. Id say storage would be best in the same area a wine cellar would be in your home. Least amount of temperature changes for sure to stop the pressure changes in the jar.
This is not from actual experience on my part, just kinda my thinking on the matter.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
If the buttons are popping "in" or "down", that means that your tobacco is aging. During the aging process, air is consumed and hence sucks the lid in. You have nothing to worry about. Whether you are aging or just storing, you have nothing to worry about.
As others have noted, if the buttons are popping up, you have an issue on your hands. I would move them from the indirect light and to a place that would be darker and have more of a constant temperature. I keep my mason jars in boxes either under the bed or in my walk-in closet. That way, they are near for when I want to grab one, but in the dark and at near constant temperature always.
Happy puffing! :puffy:

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
I never thought of air being consumed as being part of the aging process.. Interesting! Is it the oxygen in specific being consumed?

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Interesting thread and a lot of good info! I have many jars and whenever they pop, my girlfriend says, "babe...i think something's going on with your jars...."

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
@eastwoodaudio - I'm no expert by any stretch of anyone's imagination, but that would be my guess (among things). I know it has been discussed several times on this forum. I did find this thread from a while back that has some interesting stuff on it... Tobacco Alchemy.
I haven't been aging tobacco in jars long enough to say what blends age best, but I believe I've heard Virginias do the best.
Happy testing and puffing! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.