PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
This is absolutely atrocious and although I have no residence in the US it bothers me deeply. I thought the US would do the anti-tobacco research and Europe would be first to implement showcase anti-tobacco legislation, but if the tyranny takes hold in the US I struly doubt whether we have a chance. I'm also not so sure whether Tobacco has the same necessary motivational effect for Prohibitionesque calamities. It would have been apparent if it had, I guess.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but can you guys please post your comments on the article too?
That way other people that don't come to the forums see your thoughts on it too.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
What the f&*^&*???? I live in Maryland and according to this power grab I can't order any more tobacco? Could someone in the legal field please explain this.... I can't order any tobacco online after May 11?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Correct, flip... They've taken away your consumer rights and some of your liberty, too. You will no longer be able to avail of 4noggins or SmokingPipes services thanks to your state government.
It's already illegal in Canada - for the time being we are getting away with ordering from US etailers; you can't do business with Canadian tobacconists across provincial lines, and there is no internet or mail order trade at all. With Washington down and Maryland to go, it seems like only a matter of time before the US takes the same wrongheaded approach. Simply idiotic and intrusive.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
sparroa, what do you mean about washington down as well? I live here and didn't hear anything about this...
MY GOD WHAT A HORRENDOUS DAY :(

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
Looks like they are taking away every right. It's only a matter of time.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
Wow.. makes one thing of the Boston tea party.... certainly although not the same thing.. had to do with tea and taxes...as well as Govt. strong handing the individual...

Maybe a Maryland tobacco party is in order!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
How can this be enforced? Will some Maryland (or Washington) State Trooper go up to New York and pinch a mail order merchant? I just don't see it working without voluntary compliance by the merchants. And as for voluntary compliance, how many of us voluntarily pay taxes to our state for online purchases of anything?

...and who in the state will be in charge of inspecting every bit of postage and every parcel?

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
Computer Communisism! This s**t is outrageous. I agree how is it they feel they can do such things, and how can they inforce these laws. I thought we lived in the land of the free, key word lived! I guess that was in the years past. :crying:

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Reading the law I had to laugh at the part of military members can only carry 2 cartons of cigs and 2 packs of OTP off base. (or that is the way I read it) I would love to see the first time some Admiral gets pulled over coming out of the Naval College with a box of Cigars. I have a feeling the Local Cop will be getting told to get stuffed, and with one phone call the State will be shitting kittens. Until that happens I still have to suggest a P.O. box in a neighboring state or find a person willing to have it shipped to their house and repackage it for the final leg of the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.