PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Hey Brian, the stuff is incredibly sticky and hard to spread, which usually leads to using too much. You want to avoid that and I assume that's why a lot of people don't like it. If you get too much of it in your mouth it's very strong and overwhelming. It won't hurt you, but smaller amounts mixed with butter make it a unique spread. So soften up an equal amount of butter and mix it with the Marmite and try it on a cracker. Yep, it's a love it or hate it flavor, but you might like it. Report back to us on your thoughts.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
soften up an equal amount of butter and mix it with the Marmite
Maybe my problem was I pulled out a gob of Marmite out of the jar and spread it on a dinner roll like it was butter. I put it on pretty thick. I might have to try it again and re-evaluate my taste for it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"What's in Marmite?"
Marmite was originally a by product of the Burton Brewery at Burton On Trent here in jolly old England.
It was basically the residue after the brewing process with salt added, indeed the Marmite factory was built next door to the brewery for convenience.
Hated the stuff as a kid but nowadays I love it on hot buttered toast.....yum yum
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Food made from cultures is iffy for me. I like many many cheeses, so there's that. I don't like plain yogurt much. I do like tofu in Chinese food, flavored by soy and other foods. It's interesting that Marmite hasn't caught on in the U.S. much at all, not even with Brooklyn trend setters. Unrelated to cultured foods, I eat probably too much peanut butter. My wife shudders at the things I'll eat it on.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Decades ago in high school an exchange student introduced me to the stuff. He watched quietly as I spread it on a piece of bread as though it were peanut butter and then laughed his ass off when I took a bite. Waaaaaaayyyy too much. I think I can still taste it.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Speaking as an Irishman, brought up in England and now living in Australia I would urge caution when comparing vegemite with marmite :rofl:
Aussies are convinced that marmite is inferior to vegemite and the Poms consider vegemite to be inferior to marmite and possibly even the spawn of the devil (true lovers can get quite excitable about the merits of the various products - personally I like them both). One of my fellow ex-pat friends stocks up on Marmite every time he returns to the UK (no idea why; it's easy enough to find Marmite in the major Aussie supermarkets!).
One indication of how important Vegemite is to Aussies is that one of the final things you encounter in airport duty free are toothpaste sized tubes of Vegemite by the cashier - handy for when traveling to uncivilised parts of the world where it can be difficult to find the stuff (i.e. anywhere that isn't Australia :) ) No true Aussie is putting PB and J on their morning toast...
Newbies to vegemite/marmite might struggle to tell the difference but marmite is slightly saltier than vegemite and both should be used sparingly (at first; hard core lovers of these spreads can eat it by the spoonful).
As others have mentioned; both are love/hate products but the link below might provide enlightenment to anyone who is unfamiliar with these spreads; it is from the English edition of the Guardian newspaper and rather eulogises Marmite but I've seen similar articles where the roles of Marmite and Vegemite have been pretty much reversed!
article in the Guardian re Vegemite and Marmite

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Marmite sounds like another name for chiggers. Tiny biting bugs, for those not familiar or who know them by another name.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I love Marmite and always have a jar on hand. I was introduced to it when I lived in a house with six Brits back in the early 1990's. It works better as a compliment to certain condiments and the trick is to spread it thin.
It's great on hot buttered toast, on a peanut butter sandwich, with eggs and toast, cheese sandwiches etc...
Now, how about some Branston Pickle?
...and maybe a Flake for dessert?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
My Marmite arrived in the mail. It was delicious spread on buttered toast. Spread VERY thinly. lol
My experience with Vegemite is from 2006 so I cannot fairly compare them. BUT the jar of that is on its way and should be here by 5 january or so.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
What is it with this place and the power of suggestion? Even though I shuddered when I smelled this stuff a few months ago, now I want to place an order for it and have it on my morning toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.