PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

scloyd

Preferred Member
May 23, 2018
The bagel, english muffin, crumpet thread got me thinking about Marmite. I tried it last Christmas on a dinner roll and the distinct salty flavor is not for me. Any comments?

agnosticpipe

Preferred Member
Nov 3, 2013
A friend that I worked with about 20 years ago lived in the UK for a while. He introduced me to Marmite and I was hooked! I like strongly flavored things and this was a great discovery for me. I currently have a couple of jars in the pantry. I tried the Australian version Vegemite, and although good I didn't like it as much.

aquadoc

Preferred Member
Feb 15, 2017
United States
I use it for upping the umami in chili, stews (esp those with hearty cuts of beef or venison), and occasionally in my bolognese.

wyfbane

Preferred Member
Apr 26, 2013
I had Vegemite in Afghanistan at one of the NATO bases. Is that similar?
It was ok.

perdurabo

Preferred Member
Jun 3, 2015
Awesome stuff. Nothing better than Two Fried Eggs and white toast with a thin spread of Marmite. Add a cup of tea and it’s the breakfast of champions! Agreed, it’s not for everyone. Try it again, spread thin on white toast and dip the toast in the egg yolk. If you still hate it, then more for those who love it.

scloyd

Preferred Member
May 23, 2018
Not sure about Vegemite, never tried it. I would be interested to know if they're similar.

crashthegrey

Preferred Member
Dec 18, 2015
Vegemite is incredibly similar to those who are unfamiliar with either, and incredibly different to a fan of either. Ha. It's hard to explain.

timt

Preferred Member
Jul 19, 2018
I honestly thought this thread was about a new stem material.
Haha, I was thinking along those lines too before I clicked on.
Regarding Marmite/Vegemite, I can't remember for sure which one it was but a quick whiff was enough to satisfy any curiosity.

agnosticpipe

Preferred Member
Nov 3, 2013
aldecaker: Oh yeah, saladitos are a fave of mine too. I mean salt and dried plums, what's not to like? Can't find them around here.

scloyd

Preferred Member
May 23, 2018
From Wikipedia...Marmite (/ˈmɑːrmaɪt/ MAR-myte) is a British food spread produced by Unilever. Marmite is made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing. Other similar products include the Australian Vegemite (the name of which is derived partly from that of Marmite), the Swiss Cenovis, and the German Vitam-R.

agnosticpipe

Preferred Member
Nov 3, 2013
Anyone tried Marmite XO? Extra Old, made from 4 different yeasts for a stronger richer taste. (or quicker death depending on your feelings for Marmite) :mrgreen:

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member
Aug 27, 2016
Some restaurants and hotels in the UK have these little single serve packets.

Friend of mine brought a bunch back from London but I havent mustered the courage to try it yet.