PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The bagel, english muffin, crumpet thread got me thinking about Marmite. I tried it last Christmas on a dinner roll and the distinct salty flavor is not for me. Any comments?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
A friend that I worked with about 20 years ago lived in the UK for a while. He introduced me to Marmite and I was hooked! I like strongly flavored things and this was a great discovery for me. I currently have a couple of jars in the pantry. I tried the Australian version Vegemite, and although good I didn't like it as much.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Awesome stuff. Nothing better than Two Fried Eggs and white toast with a thin spread of Marmite. Add a cup of tea and it’s the breakfast of champions! Agreed, it’s not for everyone. Try it again, spread thin on white toast and dip the toast in the egg yolk. If you still hate it, then more for those who love it.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Not sure about Vegemite, never tried it. I would be interested to know if they're similar.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I honestly thought this thread was about a new stem material.

Haha, I was thinking along those lines too before I clicked on.
Regarding Marmite/Vegemite, I can't remember for sure which one it was but a quick whiff was enough to satisfy any curiosity.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
From Wikipedia...Marmite (/ˈmɑːrmaɪt/ MAR-myte) is a British food spread produced by Unilever. Marmite is made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing. Other similar products include the Australian Vegemite (the name of which is derived partly from that of Marmite), the Swiss Cenovis, and the German Vitam-R.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Some restaurants and hotels in the UK have these little single serve packets.

Friend of mine brought a bunch back from London but I havent mustered the courage to try it yet.
F60-F8-E22-D0-EF-4964-989-C-E7-AE94-D6-EEF3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.