PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
There is nothing special about the tin note; it just smells like vinegar. This is coil tobacco, which is a nice feature that pleases me. The flakes seem to be easy to crumble and pack in your pipe. The moist content is ridiculously high, so be advised. I cannot detect any toppings, and the cavendish tobacco content, which seems to be steamed pressed but not cased, adds character and body to this mixture. As for the perique content, it seems to be more and more apparent the more you progress with your bowl. I guess the sweetness of the cavendish is more or less subdued by this. The virginia's mostly in the background adding a base for this tug of war in between the perique and the cavendish to happen. I am not overtly impressed by this tobacco, but I don't see any faults in it either. This is all based on my first impressions though, so my opinion might change in the near future as most pipe tobacco tends to get better and better after you open the tin and time passes by.
Rattrays_Marlin-Flake_zpsx8cfsttd.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If the tobacco is very moist, it may benefit from some extra drying time before being smoked. Also, a few years in the tin may improve it's flavor. I just smoked some from 2006 and found it a very distinctive and flavorful blend.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
If the tobacco is very moist, it may benefit from some extra drying time before being smoked. Also, a few years in the tin may improve it's flavor. I just smoked some from 2006 and found it a very distinctive and flavorful blend.
Of course it does. Sorry if I am not passionate about it, but this is my first experience ever with cavendish + perique and I usually need a few bowls of any tobacco to make up my mind about it. The point I am trying to make is "this seems to be really good, but I do not know much about it."

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Marlin Flake is one of my absolute favorites. Taste reminds me of toasted marshmallows.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Taste reminds me of toasted marshmallows.
And here we see the differences in individual perspective... you've convinced me to steer clear of it, leaving more for you. But if there's some spare Red Rapparee, give a shout?
I had to look up rapparee. Apparently it means a brigand, patterned after a particularly vicious Irish type. Someone alert Peterson that they have another Irish trope to explore.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Toasted marshmallows is something I have never tried (along with maple syrup and pumpkin) surprising as it may sound. Does it resemble caramel by any chance as that is something I picked up from Marlin Flake.
Regards,
Jay.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Caramel is baked sugars, and toasted marshmallow is basically burnt sugar, so they are similar in taste, I suppose. I can taste the difference between them. Of course, taste is subjective. I like the sweet Virginias as a counterpoint to peppery VaPers and Smoky Latakia blends. I turn to Virginia Burleys when looking for an all day smoke.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Caramel is baked sugars, and toasted marshmallow is basically burnt sugar, so they are similar in taste."
Many thanks for that Rigmedic, that would explain what my untutored tastebuds were telling me :)
I too like Marlin Flake and also Old Gowrie & Hal 'O The Wynd (not tried Brown Clunee yet) but not smoked enough of either to be able to say which I prefer though I have not found anything to dislike about them. Interesting review by the way Jorge.
Regards,
Jay.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie are staples in my rotation and have been for many years, I never took to HOTW though, as it has a tartness I don't care for and it will give me the spins if I push it even a little.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I am a Hal-O-the Wynd kinda guy. Old Gowrie works for me but Marlin Flake never tripped my trigger.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice robust blend with not a lot of nic nor complexity. I enjoyed a sample sent to me quite a bit, but haven't ordered it myself yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.