PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I would like some opinions on these 3 from you good folks and to be more specific opinions on sweetness.
Marlin is my staple. I always have it. I smoke it more than any other tobacco. I love it. Old Gowrie I have had several times in the past and liked it very much but it has been so long since I had any I can barely remember it. Hal O' the Wynd I have never tried.
I would like to know from those who smoke these often or have ever which they consider to be the sweetest. Feel free to compare them on any level but I am specifically interested in which you think is the sweetest.
Hal O' the Wynd is almost certainly going to be on my next order regardless but I would love to see what the general consensus is regarding the three.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Thanks for posting this; I have unopened tins of Marlin and OG and am looking forward to trying both but not sure which one to pop first. HOTW is on my list as well...

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I really like all three. The only one I have bought with regularity and have in stock continually is Marlin Flake. It is a top 5 tobacco for me. The others I like but not as much as Marlin Flake, so I just buy it instead.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Old Gowrie is a little sweeter, Hal O The Wynd is a little stronger and Marlin Flake has more Perique, but they are called the holy trinity for a reason. They have more similarities than differences.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I won't get into discussions about perique in these blends. Unless the current blender decided to change the blends (and I don't know why they would), they are all Virginia blends. Read the old reviews on Tobacco Reviews. Nobody said they had perique until K&K put it on their website. I've been smoking HotW for years,and never noticed any - and I don't care for perique. :puffy:
They are all excellent. If you are serious about Virginias,you owe it to yourself to try all three.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Actually all three have Perique but in very small amounts .Black Virginia is a even lighter blend with the addition of Cavendish . Marlin Flake for the win ..

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Yeah, if it's there we are talking about less than 1%,like MacBaren's Latakia. Still skeptical, however. :)

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I really enjoy Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie and look forward to trying Brown Clunee which, for some reason, seems often absent from discussions of Rattray Virginias. Hal O' the Wynd gets great reviews, but I personally found it more harsh than strong.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
I JUST picked up Marlin Flake after staring at the shelf at the tobacconist wondering whether or not I should get that or Old G... I recently got Howl of the Wynd and loved it!

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Interesting input so far chaps. I do remember some smokes with Old Gowrie when it really did seem very sweet. In a very good way I should say. I really need to revisit it I think.
Regarding perique, I can't honestly say that I really detect it in Marlin Flake and my memory is not good enough to remember if I really did in Old Gowrie. I am not saying there is none in these blends but in my mind they are Virginia and well done at that.
I hope this thread stays afloat for a while as I really would like to see more opinions.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
I think these three will be in my order, next sale. I will pop them in my "cellar" for some aging.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
All three are excellent VAs. OG is mildest with regard to flavor and strength, next comes MF which has CAV as well in the flake...my favorite, sweet, hay-like, wonderful, HOTW is stronger, more stout. There may be the addition of small amounts of perique but it is truly, lightly condimental. These VAs do not need any aging for them to shine, but it would not be unwise to cellar some as well. I have gotten no bite from any of these, but they do typically need some minimal time to dry to go from a great smoke to one which is sublime. Minimal relights needed, heavenly with caramelized sugary tones. Try them all and see what you truly think. Good luck and Cheers!

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I have all three in my cellar but have not tried any of them.
As a new piper who is still trying to wake up my tastebuds, which one should I open?
The weakest one? The strongest one?

Status
Not open for further replies.