PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Just nabbed a nice little Mark Tinsky pipe on ebay. The listing had limited info. It has an accent ring on the stem, just wondering if anyone may be able to identify what the accent ring material is? Thanks for any help!

Reactions: diamondback

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tamarind I had never heard of, but I am glad to learn this. I have pipes made out of Mountain Laurel, which is somewhat exotic in pipes if not botanically. From the same carver, Jerry Perry, I also have a Cocobolo pipe. Cocobolo is not something you want to carve or sand unless you know what you are doing, sensitivity-wise. I think knowing the exotic materials on a pipe enhance the enjoyment, giving a bit of conversation piece to your briar. That was an excellent price for a Tinsky, and I thought it was unsmoked with fresh wood showing in the chamber.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Tamarind I had never heard of, but I am glad to learn this. I have pipes made out of Mountain Laurel, which is somewhat exotic in pipes if not botanically. From the same carver, Jerry Perry, I also have a Cocobolo pipe. Cocobolo is not something you want to carve or sand unless you know what you are doing, sensitivity-wise. I think knowing the exotic materials on a pipe enhance the enjoyment, giving a bit of conversation piece to your briar. That was an excellent price for a Tinsky, and I thought it was unsmoked with fresh wood showing in the chamber.
like the whole pipe is made from cocobolo wood? is that safe to smoke?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

maybe he means just an accent ring? I would think a cocobolo pipe might have the same issues as Rosewood?

Reactions: diamondback

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
That did look like a possibility as well, but in the other photos of tamarind accented pipes it looks like a dead ringer (no pun intended).
You are absolutely accurate! He uses Tamarind a LOT. i went into his instagram and looked about recent creations...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have this Bent Apple that Mark had listed with a Boxwood insert.... (seems like me might be making the material up as he goes...)

seems like me might be making the material up as he goes...
The differences between these accent woods is so small. I'm not sure it really matters. He may even be picking up trimmings from pruning the hedges to use as accents. puffy

I think Skip might try to get Mark to visit The Briary again. I need to make a note of these questions to ask him if I ever get the chance to talk to him again.

• Haha
Reactions: SpookedPiper

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The differences between these accent woods is so small. I'm not sure it really matters. He may even be picking up trimmings from pruning the hedges to use as accents. puffy

I think Skip might try to get Mark to visit The Briary again. I need to make a note of these questions to ask him if I ever get the chance to talk to him again.
Yep, we have boxwoods around the house.....
Jonathan Hayes said Mark is still up in Montana, but he makes trips back to the East Coast.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Status
Not open for further replies.