Maple Syrup Moulds....I Did Not Know That!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have for some months kept a small squeezable pot of maple syrup by my bedside as I suffer from a 'prickley' throat of a night (pretty certain it's throat cancer or at least its onset....hospital tests are ongoing) and take a couple of squirts every night afore lights out and let it slowly trickle down my throat as it seems to alleviate said prickleyness.
Blow me but a couple of nights ago I partook of a couple of 'squirts' and it tasted nasty, very nasty!
Only in the morning did I see patches of green mould atop the remaining syrup.
Now I know honey never spoils but assumed the same applied to maple syrup....clearly not :(
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That’s horrible. I hate cold syrup so I don’t refrigerate mine but that stuff expensive so I only get a small bottle of it at a time and I go through it very quickly. I should also add that my daughter and I were up at her Grandparents for the weekend and I went to the back of the fridge to pour some apple juice for my girl and saw some stuff floating at the top of it. Turns out that juice has been sitting in the back of the fridge for a long time. They were pretty large, green wafers of mold, gross! I’m so glad I caught that before I served it to my daughter. Moral of the story, we buy the lil boxes of juice now.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Best of luck! Honey sounds more soothing to me just due to the viscosity. But, I do like some high quality maple syrup as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I always refrigerate maple syrup after opening, and then a spot in the microwave to heat it a bit. Even so, I've found mold- and mould- in same when left alone too long.

Mar 1, 2014
Honey has anti-microbial properties because of the bees. Make sure to get unpasteurized honey, if the honey is heated in processing it destroys the bacteria and enzymes that the bees put in the sugar, which is most of the stuff that makes “Honey” so desirable.

If you know you have raw honey it even works well as an antiseptic for wounds.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well chaps, I use 'Clarks Pure Canadian Syrup' which seems to be the prominent brand here in the UK and tasty it is too.
No complaints about the company at all, it was purely down to my own ignorance on its longevity.
As for honey, well I've tried that and though it works a treat in taming the slight harshness of certain Cabernet Sauvignon wines, it doesn't quite cut it as a throat soother.
Regards,
Jay.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I too hope you are wrong about the throat diagnosis and that you make a speedy and full recovery from whatever the ailment is.
Regarding the maple syrup; I also found that out the hard way about 4 years ago and have ever since kept open bottles in the fridge. Mind you; given the humidity levels in Sydney there isn't much that doesn't get mouldly around here in the winter months! I'd forgotten I'd put a good pair of leather boots in a cupboard (panic tidying up before a visitation of rellies) a couple of months back; went to wear them two days ago and needed to give them a really good clean as they were covered in the stuff.
So far no problems with tobacco (fingers crossed) but I only ever have a couple of blends open that I'm smoking and I don't buy in bulk so haven't attempted to re

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You don’t have cancer. At least not until proven otherwise. Stay positive. This I learned growing up in a family of cancer survivors.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Crikey, mate, I just skipped over the cancer reference in the o.p., and sorry to hear of the scare, Jay. I am with Dan on the above. (woodsroad).

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I hope you're wrong about the throat cancer diagnosis."
As do I.
I've done the barium swallow thing and await the results but sadly (in my view), all the signs are pointing in that direction :cry:
I'll just have to man up and deal with it if it turns out to be the case.
Thanks chaps.
Regards,
Jay.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
You can actually save the maple syrup by putting it on the stove or perhaps that’s just an old wives tale

Status
Not open for further replies.