PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I've found myself revisiting some aromatic blends. The second or third blend that I purchased when getting seriously into the pipe was Mapke Street. But as I also in that same order purchased Night Cap, Maple Street didn't have much chance at that point. I've found that many of the aro blends that I'd tried and put in a jar are now very enjoyable to me. I think I've come to a spot where technique alliws me to better enjoy these. Tonight Maple Street was on the block and man was it good. There are many things to like there. Hay being said I'm curious as to other Mapke blends out there. I'd also like to find one that comes in bulk but is of similar quality (hope that's not a unicorn).

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
I have found Black and Gold Maple by C&D to be the closest thing to Autumn Evening (the ultimate maple) for tobacco with most maple taste, Actually it tastes very similar as far as flavoring goes but with more of a burly feel instead of Red Stoved Virginia. So I would recommend it to those who like Autumn Evening but find the Red Virginias too much.. Oh yeah and its in bulk as well :)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
4Noggins Essence of Vermont, and Sutliff Rum & Maple easily come to mind. I haven't tried Pipeworks & Wilke's Vermont Maple Cavendish, but it gets good reviews, and a friend of mine whose opinion I respect really likes it.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks for the recommendations, I was looking at Autumn Evening to try as well. I was hoping rum and Maple might be close as it is very cheep and I've liked most Sutliff blends that I've tried.

Once again, I like to combine blends to get the best of both. I find that the Maple Twist rope by GH&co taste great at first, and then diminishes in maple flavor as the bowl progresses. But, I really like the strength of the nicotine. By adding a few pinches of Autumn Evening, it gives the rope a little balance and an added maple boost throughout the bowl.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I'd have to agree with the above mentioned posts. I find that Autumn Evening is a superb Maple topped Virginia! It's the first and only quasi aromatic that I have enjoyed. :puffy:

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Cosmic, I've been very tempted to get some rope blends but I've been hesitant as I don't care for Lakeland blends very much. I've smoked the coconut twist before and thought it good but felt like I tasted Lakeland essence in it. I'm not sure if that was because the samples that I had where from a box that had a few lakelands in it. Does the Maple Twist have that issue? Also curious about their cherry twist as well. I certainly liked the vitamin N from the twist that I had though, I really prefer some stronger blends like that.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Just for this thread I smoked Sutlif rum and maple as well C&D black and gold maple. Rum and maple is decent and the rum adds a bit more to the flavor profile but the maple is real faint and its more of a sweet vanilla flavor than maple to me. It burns very well although a bit hot so it has to be sipped slowly. As I said previously Black and Gold Maple is much more maple forward and burns cooler. I like both but for a straight up no nonsense maple forward flavor Autumn Evening and Black and Gold are my go to blends hands down.

I smoke Essence of Vermont quite often and its great but similar to many other maple blends it just tastes like a faint sweet vanilla to me but the underlying burley/perique is very unique.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
I agree the P&W is tasty stuff. Regarding coconut twist, I don't get any Lakeland effect either. Yet to try the Maple Twist though I suspect I'd like it as I enjoy G&H's Rum Flake which has some maple flavors, though also some 'florality', so caveat emptor there...

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Cosmic, what a great idea! I'll add a little Autumn Evening to Essenence of Vermont for that extra maple taste.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
McClelland's Town Topic is a good maple blend. I don't smoke but a few aros, Dan tobac Sweet Vanilla Honeydew and Town topic. To my tastes, Autumn Evening tastes "chemical" to me, where Town topic is more natural......... only drawback is there is NO NICOTINE in it...... :puffy:

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Just got in 5oz of Autumn Evening, and it is delicious! Love this stuff it really is a nice deep flavor of maple and the Virginia in it is just sublime. I very highly recommend it!

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Itstone indeed it does. I sport a full beard and the smell just hangs out on it. My wife really likes it and that's a good thing!

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Yes! Autumn Evening has one of the most powerful (but lovely) room notes and will infect the beard and clothes. Not a bad thing!

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Thank you bdhact1 for bringing in Vermont Meat Candy, which I smoke on rare but wonderful occasions. To me it's pancakes dripping with butter, slathered abundantly with dark maple syrup with enough thick-sliced center-cut bacon on the plate to insure instant cardiac death!!! Strangely, every time I smoke it, the previous ends up on the menu around here!

Status
Not open for further replies.