PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
The other thread had some issues that made it impossible for me to see the posts properly. Let's try this again.
I am slowly realizing that my past hobbies can be incorporated into the current one... pipes.
Some years ago I took up wood carving. Another of my forays into new territory. I am no expert, but it is fun to carve bits of wood into rustic and yet useful items.
I modified one of my grandpa's pocket knives into a specialized carving knife. All of the blades are razor sharp, and the one shown in this pic is flat on the back side, tapered on the front, for a right handed carver... ME.
38319124531_2067e4efb6_k_d.jpg

I am going to try carving some wood sprite tampers. I found this example of someone's work on the net, thanks to the unknown owner of the pic for the inspiration.
37604249394_6e6e4a91e9_z_d.jpg

And then I found this tiny, blurry pic.
26545716959_f8265dd279_o_d.jpg

And decided, why not? Should be a fun exercise. This is the start...
37603753364_ed808c7198_z_d.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Closer to Santa I think. Maybe the real wood sprite will come forward... 8)
No, no income... that ruins hobbies, IMO. This and the others will be for members of the forum and for me.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
The image of the man is/was?? I think a member here...Now will drive me crazy trying to think who it was....

Jan 8, 2013
Awesome! I've seen wood sprites carved into walking sticks, canes, trees... but never a tamper. And a woodsprite tamper would be awesome! Looking forward to seeing this one finished :puffy:

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Those would be Jason Robards tampers.
http://www.hedgerow-crafts.com/pipe-tampers/
His name here is Klause.
This is the one I got from him:
Jason-Robards-Hedgerow-Crafts28.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Thanks for the link Fitzy. I hate using pics I can't give credit for. Now it is proper. I found the pics on a link with no credits.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I got brave and started carving. This wood (unknown limb from beside the road) is fairly good carving stuff, but hard. I had to stop to study the carving and sharpen the blade.
26563770189_a9b006bfb4_k_d.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have made many tampers, but never carved like this. I have a book on carving wood spirits. Perhaps this is what I need to do, now that the days are getting cold.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I worked a bit more on the carving after sharpening the knife blades. I sharpen them on a hard Arkansas stone that I 'made' myself. I was a geology student at the Missouri School of Mines in the late '60s and collected a nice piece of Novaculite on a trip to Arkansas. Novaculite is the stuff that Arkansas stones are made from. This one is a good one for sure. The stone and a drop of ancient Buck honing oil, will put a razor edge on a blade. Then strop on leather.
Novaculite: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novaculite
Anyway, a bit more carving has been done. I need to 'push' the face back into the wood a bit more, and that is the scary part for me. As my nice sunshine waned, I worked on the stem of the tamper. Direct sunshine is nice for carving, makes old eyes see better.
38289615706_d2fd5bb275_k_d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.