PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Recently I've noticed that a few craft pipe makers have been releasing "side" lines in which they acquire very old, factory-turned pipe stummels from defunct European factories, and then finish the stummels by hand to make new pipes. I don't have the longevity in this hobby to say whether or not this is a new trend, but I really like it either way. What's great about this idea is that you get a pipe made from aged briar, finished with the professional touches of modern artisans, but usually for much cheaper than these makers' pipes made from scratch go for. Here are the folks I know of who are doing this well:
- Bruno Nuttens: Heritage and Vintage lines

- Clark Layton: Sloth line

- Trever and Emily Talbert: Ligne Bretagne line

- Chris Askwith: Hand-Finished line
Anyone had experience with a pipe of this variety? And who else should be on this list?

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
ROPP. Their Algerian, Vintage, and Vintage Superior lines are all old briar. I have a Superior, has a horn stem, love the thing.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I've got a couple of Askwith Hand finished pipes. From a technically point of few they're an incredibly well put together pipe that smoke fantastically well, infact nothing I've smoked in a similar price range comes close. You might be able to buy a prettier pipe for the same money but you can't smoke pretty.
His handmade pipes are nicer again, the main difference being the handmade stem.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I don't think the Sloth line is the same thing. It isn't old briar stummels that are refinished.
From the website:

For Sloth pipes, he hand shapes and finishes the stummels from raw blocks of briar from the same source as his full handmades.
The difference from his regular line is that he uses machine-made stems.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have one of these, but I believe there are many excellent pipes in this mode. The bowls can be somewhat smaller than we are used to, in medium size or Group 4 pipes, but especially if you are smoking flake, plug, coin, or rope, you can still get a full-length smoke. These are light weight, unique in design because of their age, and usually the stems are well crafted to fit the briar. I've been tempted by these many times -- Hilson versions and others. They are an excellent buy, besides.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
How could I forget about Ropp?! I love their current offerings. Fantastic stuff.
Yaddy, good catch. Farther down on the Sloth page there is at least one pipe that's finished from an old stummel in a process closer to what I first described.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I've got 2 of the Ligne Bretagne pipes from Trevor Talbert and they are excellent pipes. The quality with which these are finished goes beyond what is expected at the price point. They are both top notch smokers and the fit and finish is wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.