PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
Not too long ago, I noticed that the all my boxes, via USPS, were not being delivered, and I was getting slips.

Today I found out it is because my Danes scare the bejeebus out of the regular carrier. One is really not too bad. 180 pounds, and 34 at the shoulder. The other guy, well, he is a bit larger at 200 pounds, and almost 35 at the shoulder. I asked the carrier about it today, and he said the first time he placed a box on my porch, they scared him so bad he lost his legs. Basically swooned, I guess.
Anybody else ever have this happen? I am not sure that it complies with regulations, but am checking into it on my own before I call the Postmaster.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
A postman can choose to leave a package or not. If it won't fit in the box they don't have to leave it. If they are afraid of your dogs, that is plenty of reason to not leave it.
Luckily when we bought this place in the country there was already a big box on the road. Haven't had many boxes won't fit in it. But, we do have a dog that might eat the mailman when he drops the mail, if he had to get out. As it is, only his tires aren't safe. :)

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I get along great with dogs, but not everyone does. You really can't blame the fellow if he's afraid of your large dogs. He is just trying to do his job and doesn't want to get hurt.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
Yes, the dogs are in the house, and would have to go through a steel door to get him. The windows have meshed panels inside, so they can't go through them. Perhaps it is time to have stuff sent to my office. oi vey.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I love Great Danes. I used to have a male and a female. Not everyone realizes that big WOOF! hides a big teddy bear, though. My little 9lb poodle mix is more aggressive than my Danes ever were!

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I have a similar problem with receiving "pick up at the post office" notes instead of getting my packages. I work from home the majority of my time, so I'm almost never away to miss a package. Yet, I rarely hear a knock from USPS--but get plenty of notes. I have a dog, but she's an inside mutt.
The sad truth is that my mailman is lazy. When I called to complain, his postmaster confirmed a track record of laziness, but has yet to do anything about it.
My UPS guy is top notch, though.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
needpics1.gif

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Its been my experence bigger dogs are more friendly than little ones.

I had a pit and the mailman wouldnt come to the door and piggy is not mean at all. now that i moved i have a mail lady who brings the mail and when she drops off packages i have to bring piggy out to see her she loves my dog and brings her a treat :)

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
IMO he's entitled to his fear and to refuse delivery - he doesn't have an intimate knowledge of your house plan, whether they can get to him out of another door etc. I have 2 x Mastiff x Ridgebacks but I wouldn't put your mail on your porch and wouldn't think anyone in their right mind would put mail on mine!

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
We need pics of these brutes that instill fear into Muslim terrorists
If GWB (Humpty Dumpty) and all the King's men failed to do that, how the hell do you think a few chickenshit hounds will?

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I love Great Danes, however, I must admit that i have come in contact with them on only a few occasions. I did find them to be intimidating but once properly introduced and aquainted with them, they were a true pleasure to behold.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
Ah, I don't know how to post photos, or keep my other pics in my tinypic account private.

Is there a gallery or someplace within this site which allows uploading photos?
The dogs are quite protective, but there is no way that they could get outside of the house.

I have gone to great lengths to ensure that. They are also VERY well trained. Thing is, when you have dogs that large, strong, etc., you better know how to train it. Danes are much smarter than folks realize. They will do what you want, just in their own way. They know what you want, and basically train themselves, if that makes any sense.
They are also quite effective at keeping solicitors, and other uninvited folks away from the house. One time, they went off on some salesmen. It was quite entertaining watching them run like the dickens across the road. But, always very appropriate on when they choose to bark.

smokinggun

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2011
I love dogs very much and had always been trusting but I was attacked and hurt badly by a large dog so now I still love dogs but am very careful to not underestimate them.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I love big dogs as well.

We had to give Beau to one of my wife's cousins.

He was very friendly, but headstrong; just too much dog for my wife.

Here's his picture:

Looks like a goober... but as smart as Einstein.

But, he wasn't real well informed when it came to theoretical physics.

He thought it was theoretically possible to physically occupy the same space in the easy chair as someone already sitting in it. :D
Beau: 3 months old, German Shepherd and Akita mix.
Beau.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.