PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Exciting !

We feel that there has been research ... :)

(In an episode I recently saw Maigret / B. Cremer in the office contemplating his pipe with a thoughtful air, the pipe in one hand the stove in the other, we clearly see that it is broken and that the tenon remained in the pipe :cry:... But it goes very fast!)

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The Bruno Cremer series is really good. I've seen 5 or 6 of them so far. Haven't seen armonts episode yet. Bruno Cremer fits the description well of Maigret in the books. I enjoyed the Rowan Atkinson series but in the back of my mind I kept thinking Mr. Bean.
They are great books, pay attention to descriptions though. Depending on the edition/translation, there are several stories that are released with different names (Maigret Goes Home is Maigret and the St. Fiacre Affair, and the like).
This is why I'm sticking with only the new Penguin editions. I picked up four new books for less that $5 a piece on ebay.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Thanks Armonts. Google automatically translated entire article to English. Looking forward in reading it.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I watched the Atkinson series with great pleasure and will be reading the books when I get a chance. Thanks for the recommendation! What a great character!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I know someone in the thread said they can be read in any order, but can someone suggest a good place to start for someone completely unfamiliar wig the character. I like mysteries and want to check 'em out

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I know someone in the thread said they can be read in any order, but can someone suggest a good place to start for someone completely unfamiliar wig the character. I like mysteries and want to check 'em out
Yes, you can read them in any order. Each book is a different mystery. I have about 10 of the newest Penguin Publishing books (read 5 or 6 so far) purchased on ebay. You can pick them up for about $5-6 a piece.

Check out this link of 4 books for $18.
LOT 4 Simenon Mystery books Maigret Gets Angry, Holiday, in New York, Dead Man | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-4-Simenon-Mystery-books-Maigret-Gets-Angry-Holiday-in-New-York-Dead-Man/333441988050?hash=item4da2b0f5d2:g:zX0AAOSwz5pd-U8Q

Reactions: danimalia

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
You can read them in any order, but Simenon gives the reader little inside jokes that you only get when you read them in order. I started with the omnibus edition, which was great and cheap for Kindle, but then went back to read the ones they skipped for that edition. I got the Maigret bug Bad from this thread. I got up to book 30 or so before I had to quit for a while.

Reactions: scloyd
Status
Not open for further replies.