PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Warren,
I know damage was confined to the Kenai Peninsula, 160 mi SW of Anchorage so I'm assuming all is well with you & your's. Could you feel or hear anything where you live?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I appreciate your concern johnny.
Other than a bit of lost sleep, no serious damage. The pup decided to share the bed after the earthquake. He's normally a loner.
I'm gonna finish my first cuppa and a cigarette then, I start picking up stuff in the pantry. Had a few other things wobble off the shelves around the house, a few knickknacks broken. It was officially a 7.1 quake which went on for nearly a minute. The longer the rolling the more the damage.
A meerschaum fell from its stand. Landed on the carpet so no damage there. The tins all retained their lids so no blends to vacuum up.
I expect some avalanches and rock slides in the area I'm going to shoot sheep today. Should be interesting.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
A meerschaum fell from its stand. Landed on the carpet so no damage there.
In my mind, that officially makes it a bigger event than our snowstorm over here, lol. Glad you are OK, and thank goodness for carpet. :wink:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Warren-
Yep, you were the first guy I thought of when I heard about it on the news. Very glad all is well.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Glad to hear that Warren. I don't think you've ever said how close your daughter & grandson live to you, but I'm assuming they're okay as well. If you see any interesting rock slides today photograph them as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's some serious tectonic energy on the loose. Glad you weathered it pretty well. When I was in a Navy "A" school in San Diego, I was eating lunch at the end of the lunch hour, just one other guy at the table. It felt like he was shoving the table at me, and he took it the same way, and we glared at each other, before it dawned on us simultaneously that this was one of those little tremors that come from the San Andreas fault. "Everyone has their faults," as the old joke goes. Hope none of the household systems got jarred loose. Stay safe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The young ones haven't reported in yet. They live in the flat land, near the inlet, so a longish quake can turn the ground into jello. But, no news is good news. There are no reports of any structural damage in the flatland, we learned a few things with regard to building after the the 1964 shaker, other than some localized water and gas line interruptions.
The area I intended shooting in is experiencing high winds (30+) and heavy snow, no reported road blockages, so I'll wait a few hours before checking it out personally. The maintenance trucks report conditions as they plow so the information is timely. And, there is no real daylight until well after 10am this time of year because of the surrounding mountains and late sunrise.
Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I really appreciate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.