PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
A bold flake of dark fired burleys in a well balanced unity with flue cured Virginias.

Thats what the label says, but I'm sure they keep some things a secret.

Well, this is my first go with it. Bowl one if you will.

I rubbed it this time and will fold stuff on another occasion. I never rubb a flake out to the point of not being able to tell tis a flake. I mostly just break it up a bit. So it dried nicely and rubbed out readily. The the char light gave no pleasantness at all mostly just smoke like an old mild cigar which is not horrible, but I was looking for that "sweetness" of a flue cured Virginia. It lit easily and seemingly evenly so I carried on smoking. Well it mellowed out and smoked well with no bitter taste or other harshness and the room note was not bad. It not a room pleaser though. As I carry on smoking it has settled into a decent smoke with cool and dry and will let you know with no uncertainty if you are going to fast with an ashy taste. However when smoked properly it tastes rather like the taste of alfalfa grass which is not bad actually a quite natural taste. A relight exudes a bitterness that must be washed away with a drink of tea. Any heavy or long draw will hit you with that bitter abuse.

Thus far not my favorite but not bad. It will teach you to smoke slow and patient be cause abuse will be met with eaqual abuse in retort.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks Locopony. Sounded like a real honest review. I have a few tins in the cellar. Been waiting for me to forget some of the hype so I can be honest with myself about it.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I actually quite enjoy it, I have a pound on the way. Sometimes I find expectations really affect enjoyment...I wasn't really looking for Virginia flavor.....more like an English. With that frame, I loved it. If I was looking for sweet Virginias...I might not like it..
FWIW, I have not struggled with bite, and I'm a person that often does...

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Like Roth says it really changes after resting a bit in the tin after its opened. I'd say my best smokes from it came about 3 to 4 weeks after I opened it.

linkdead

Lurker
Jul 5, 2013
I just tried this last night and I fell in love with it! I plan on stocking up as it's my first "Favorite" tobacco. I also glad that my first love didn't end up named "Grandma's kitchen feet" or something, Old Dark Fired has a nice tone to it.

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
I recently popped a tin as well. Cube cut the entire contents to a perfect brunoise and WOW! My new favorite.

Jul 12, 2011
Love the ODF, I put that (*&^%$# on everything , lmao
Have a few pounds, and it is going fast...guess I should stop sprinkle'in on my ice cream :rofl:

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Just a heads up due to the square tin it will dry out pretty quickly. I think you'll be fine leaving it for 3 to 4 weeks and then smoking it up within another 3 weeks or jarring it.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Thanks, bro. I appreciate the advice.

I jad some broke up so I mixed it with some vanilla flake. Now that was quite nice.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I finally managed to get a couple of tins of this but haven’t tried it yet. I’m thinking it may be better to let it age a while.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
After a few weeks if it dont improve , I will rub it all out and place it in a jar Va/per I have been aging for more than a year.

allenz

Lurker
Feb 14, 2013
My first bowl of this was overly sweat with ketchup, BBQ like flavour. It scared me to give it a second try so I set it aside for a long while. The second bowl was much, much smoother imo.

pustolov

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
Just finished my first bowl of this tobacco and I must say it was great. I'm absolute newb in pipe smoking but I ordered 4 different kinds of tobacco and this is by far the best. It is strong and this is what I'm looking in tobacco for now. I can't say it bites at all in comparison with Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish which i also bought. It burned really good. Nice solid and even burn. I only had to relight it once and it seemed to me that the bowl lasted twice if not three times longer then other brands I tried. All in all like this stuff a lot. Really happy I bought it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I first tried ODF I did not like it at all. I put it away for 3-4 months, let it dry some in the tin and when I tired it again, I fell in love with it. I was amazed at the change in only a few months. I have found some nice pipe pairings with group 4-5 Billiards, Apples and Lovats being my favorites.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I didn't have to age mine at all. I thought it was fantastic right from the tin. Cube cut it and test your draw as you're feeding it. Burns very well and huge in the flavor department.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
IMHO ODF is one of the best tobaccos released in the last 10 years. I've noted no bite nor harshness, but I would agree that the flavor is strong and doesn't compromise in how it delivers, nor does the strength. I consider it an HO.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I received 4 ounces of this in bulk from smoking pipes.com Thoroughly enjoyed it. I ordered another pound. Truly one of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.