PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
I enjoyed what ended up being roughly half a bowl of this blend while sitting on my front porch in the early morning just after sunrise. I sipped at a cup of coffee, listened to the birds, and talked to my old dog Buddy who was laying on a blanket in front of me. I used my bent briar pipe

Like before, I left what I thought would be a pipe full in a jar open to the air overnight. In my opinion, it was too long as the tobacco was a bit crisp. This lent to me not packing tight enough, and so I didn't use the full pinch. I had some issues with it going out, probably due to the light pack. This is also why I call it about half a bowl.

The taste was very pleasing, it definitely has a sweet side, but its not overpowering. After quite a bit of deliberation trying to decide what I believe best describes the flavor I must conclude it is well named. The flavor was to me somewhat reminiscent of Amaretto, but that doesn't quite describe it as well as to simply say fruity, plum like, with hints of what fresh cut hay smells like as it dries in the field before bailing.

In short, while I did have to relight more than I'd hoped, I thoroughly enjoyed the bowl and only wish I'd packed tighter so I could have enjoyed a longer smoke with fewer relights. For me it seems that smoking my pipe is not unlike a pleasant journey through the countryside.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
In short, while I did have to relight more than I'd hoped, I thoroughly enjoyed the bowl and only wish I'd packed tighter so I could have enjoyed a longer smoke with fewer relights. For me it seems that smoking my pipe is not unlike a pleasant journey through the countryside.
Like the review. It might not have those description of notes and hints but I now have a better idea of what type of experience I'd have with that blend. And totally agree with what Shanez said about drying. Though I like really dry.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I liked it, but it began to go south in flavor, and the damn tongue bite wasn’t worth the time. Now to be honest, this was in the beginning of my pipe smoking career, so my technique was all mucked up. I might be able to sip it every 30min with no bite, throwing a little pranayama breath smoking in there to change it up.

Reactions: chopper

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I like it. I get both the rum and the passing whiff of latakia. I use a 9mm filter pipe and i don't get bitten.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I do recall trying this many years ago, and really enjoyed everything about it with one exception: It bit like a rabid german shepherd. No matter what I did or how I dried it. I remember amping up the blend and getting it to calm down a bit by adding a pinch of McConnel's Syrian latakia to it, which took the bite down several notches but still too aggressive for me. Nothing I've tried so far from MacBaren has failed to bite me, even something like Old Dark Fired has a slight burn to it.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

soviettubes

Lurker
Mar 26, 2018
Cool. Thanks for the review. Recently, I have wanted to revisit some of these MacB blends that I liked so much when I started smoking pipes 20 years ago...

Plum Cake, Scottish Mixture, Symphony, Roll Cake, and Dark Twist were pretty much my pipe world those first couple years. Lotta tongue burn for me back then.

• Haha
Reactions: logs and chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I have not had a tin for a few years, but I remember using the drying method of spreading a bowls worth out thinly on a paper towel for 15-20 minutes and that seemed about right to me. One of my very favourite tin notes.

Isaac.
Also one of my favourite tin notes.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I liked it, but it began to go south in flavor, and the damn tongue bite wasn’t worth the time. Now to be honest, this was in the beginning of my pipe smoking career, so my technique was all mucked up. I might be able to sip it every 30min with no bite, throwing a little pranayama breath smoking in there to change it up.
Plumcake bites like a bitch. It has a scrumptious tin note & I really like the flavour, otherwise I would not have persevered with it.
A charcoal filter in a small to medium bowl works ok but using a sml/med meerschaum lined Dublin worked best for me. One bowl is fine. Two in a row & the bite starts to come back.

For those asking about the Latakia content; had I not been aware that it contained Latakia, I doubt that I would have ever known. It truly is used as a condiment that adds a hint of smokiness.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I do recall trying this many years ago, and really enjoyed everything about it with one exception: It bit like a rabid german shepherd. No matter what I did or how I dried it. I remember amping up the blend and getting it to calm down a bit by adding a pinch of McConnel's Syrian latakia to it, which took the bite down several notches but still too aggressive for me. Nothing I've tried so far from MacBaren has failed to bite me, even something like Old Dark Fired has a slight burn to it.
If you get a chance their HH Burley is pretty tasty and burley usually doesn't have bite so it's highly recommend.

Reactions: chopper and logs

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
True, but the HH line has a different flavor profile. It tends towards natural or savory tobacco flavors; whereas the traditional Mac Baren line is typically pretty sweet. It's the sweet ones that bite

Reactions: Pierre1965

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I liked Mixture but it bit me. I smoked it when I first started, and not knowing any better, continued. I never found any of their bless that I could tolerate and liked, except of course their Old Dark Fired and Latakia Flake, both stellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.