Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia Flake....Wow !!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Fellow pipe smokers,
this probably won't be news to most of you, but I just want to share this with another pipe smoking soul.Tonight I am smoking HH PVF for the first time ever. I received the tin today after a week long wait and I think this stuff is simply delicious. It is so smooth, it is unreal. It is light yes, but there is nothing wrong with that I think. That being said though, flavor is the word here. It is the nicest virginia I have smoked ever and dare I say, I think it is nicer than FVF (ok,ok...easy now). But yes, it tastes so good, I could probably smoke the whole tin tonight. It is the first tobacco I have tried, that got tastier and tastier as going down the bowl, something which I find really odd. Usually even the best blends get quite nasty towards the end, but this.. shortly before the bottom it gave this sweet, but not too sweet beautiful virginia nuance. My Orlik GS days are over for as long as I can get my hands on this. And with it, I am also christening a brand new Refbjerg rustic poker that arrived in the mail with it. It brought a smile on my face and I just had to share.I am having a great time with this blend. If you haven't tried HH SVF and you have a thing for virginias, do yourselves a favor.

Jan 8, 2013
Sounds like I am gonna have to try this. I love FVF, so this is definitely going on the list. Thanks for the review!

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Congrats... It's always nice to find a really nice blend. HH Blackhouse was the last one i tried that made me say "God Damn" it's been one of my favorites since.
In regards to PVF, I've never tried it myself and after reading your review I might have to give it a try. :puffy:

I tried samples of it in NOLA, with suspiscion having been fooled by McBite's past autrocities with Virginias. But, it was good, very little bite. But, I'm still not sure it's worth the extra bucks MacBarens puts on their tobaccos, especially with a market so full of great Virginia flakes.

But, it was very good. They got one right!

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
I've heard nothing but good things...even folks who claim MacBaren does nothing but bite (not the case here) have said this is a great full non-"bitey" VA blend

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I also smoked a bowl in New Orleans and a big bowl at that. Thought it had a nice taste, stayed lit well, and no bite.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Oh I was hoping there was MB full VA! Their flakes are so perfectly cut and stacked in the tin they are like none other I've smoked to date. My usual and now go to VA flake is Samuel Gawith and sadly it's wetter than an otters pocket and as crude as a Roy Chubby Brown joke!
Lovely taste though. Good job I'm taking a bus to the city tomorrow, great baccy shop there! ;)

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Is this the stuff? https://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/products/mac-baren-virginia-flake-dunhill-light-flake-50g-tin

Is this the stuff? https://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/products/mac-baren-virginia-flake-dunhill-light-flake-50g-tin

No, it should look like this.
pt-mrl0050.png

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Oh.. so what's the stuff I linked? as good as the one OP mentioned??..

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
@redpanda
I appreciate your affectionate prose in honour of the HH PVF. Admittedly I am not a hardcore straight virginia sipper, but the Mac Baren HH PVF has gradually made me prefer it over any other pure virginia that I've smoked, even SG's FVF.

Status
Not open for further replies.