Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired - (News & Review)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Mac Baren introduced their new HH Old Dark Fired tobacco at the Chicago show, and it was an instant success, immediately selling out the entire first production.
- Good news for Mac Baren.
- Bad news for pipe smokers that didn't get any.
Then the news got worse ... there would not be anymore available until next year! - 2013!
It takes a long time to make this stuff, and it can't be rushed. It has to be pressed and aged a certain amount of time.
But wait ...
The 2nd batch of Old Dark Fired, which was slated for Europe and Asia has been diverted to American soil. It's steaming this way right now and will hit stores mid-to-late August.
If you are one of the people that missed it the first time, I strongly suggest talking to your favorite retail tobacconist and getting some reserved.
And check out the great review by Adam - Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired Pipe-Tobacco Review

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I read the reviews earlier and really wanted some, now I'm on Smokingpipes.com list to be

emailed when it's available... Thanks Kevin

docgarr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2010
This was really tasty tobacco. I concur with Kevin. And I was lucky enough to buy a number of tins at Chicago.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Oh mama, i so want to try this! I wish someone would come up with a preorder system where you could place an order, provide your card info and then get charged when the order ships. It sure would take the worry out of hoping to get some and the crazy dash that happens.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I ordered a 5 pack. Enjoy a tin right away and put the others in the cellar. I can't wait.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I didn't get to order any, budget going to the group meer. I did pop open a tin of Pete Irish Flake to try, since I read that it is similar. It was tasty, and smelled like Copehnagen. Not the town, the chew, lol. My son had given me the Irish Flake for Christmas, so I tried it after reading the review. The MacBaren must be really good, having sold out so quickly.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
The MacBaren must be really good, having sold out so quickly.

Yeah thats what I was thinking too. I like Virginias and the process sounds great for this one. I've not tried the Pete Irish flake yet either but will give it a try at some point.

mb1mb

Might Stick Around
Oct 5, 2012
Picked up a tin of this today. Smoked 2 bowls from my Grant's Zulu. I really like it. When I first opened the tin it kinda smelled like Campbell's cream of tomato soup, not overpowering, kind of faint. The flakes were remarkably uniform. First bowl I smoked rubbed out. Didn't need to let it dry further, before smoking. The second bowl I cut the half flake that was left from the first bowl into squares. I reccomend rubbing it out. Nice round tobacco flavor, burned nicely( better when rubbed)

I'd reccomend this for someone who wants to test the waters w/ flakes. No real Nic hit for me, but I'm not overly sensitive to it.

Sorry if this was the wrong place to post this....

mb1mb

Might Stick Around
Oct 5, 2012
Smoked a full flake in a bent billiard folded and stuffed. The strength is coming through more now, both in flavor and nic. Try it if you haven't....

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Sorry if this was the wrong place to post this....

This was a fine place to post. Sometimes it is difficult to know what's where around here.
Old dark fired is becoming a favorite of several members. Just so you don't miss out on other comments on it have a look at these other threads. Many of us agree with you.
Old Dark Fired 1

Old Dark Fired 2

Old Dark Fired 3
There may be some other threads as well if you are patient with the search function and have a high tolerance for frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.