PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
There are some stalwart brands included. Consolidation is the name of the game. Not all bad. Thanks for the news.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
So, Three Nuns everywhere soon... maybe I should try it someday. (Scribbles on "To Do" list.)

Dec 24, 2012
I wonder if this provides any hope that Three Nuns will again return to its roots and include perique in the blend. I assume MacBaren will have access to the original recipes.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I wonder if this provides any hope that Three Nuns will again return to its roots and include perique in the blend.
My thoughts exactly.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm concerned MacBaren may use they own tobaccos, and not the ones Imperial had been sourcing for those blends.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
chasingembers,
I guess we fund the cost for the acquisition of these brands.
I'll await the more intrepid reviewers' input here when/if the products arrive.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
chasingembers,
I guess we fund the cost for the acquisition of these brands.
I'll await the more intrepid reviewers' input here when/if the products arrive.
Bought from them for nearly 2 decades, and even with moderate price increases, I stood by their products. Their newest price hike was far too ridiculous for me to abide, however. The bulk of my spending is now Mc Clelland, C&D, and Two Friends.

Mar 1, 2014
The MacBaren price hike was a bit of a shock, but really it just brings them in line with other premium blenders.

We're just not used to comparing MacBaren with Dunhill instead of Stokkebye. I will concede that until Escudo jumps $7 in price Three Nuns probably isn't going to move any stock.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The MacBaren price hike was a bit of a shock, but really it just brings them in line with other premium blenders.
Like who? I have never paid more than $15 for Dunhill, Pease, McClelland, or C&D tins. The only tin that I ever pay more than $20 for is the ocassional Solani Silver Flake, but ODF? Used to get those for under $13, but now $20+?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How intriguing. I haven't followed acquisition of specific brands and blends that closely. I can't quite understand how that kind of cherry picking pays off. But these are big boys in the business, so they know exactly what they're doing or think they do. Let's see how it shakes out. I think it is difficult for any new owner to source the product the same way, so the named blends may or may not turn out the same/worse/better than before. Blends are such a moving target from year to year, never mind from blender to blender or corporation to corporation. If they can put the Perique back in Three Nuns, that would make a hit and might carry other blends, and make them some money. I doubt it would be the Nuns of yore, but it might taste real good.

Mar 1, 2014
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=66107

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mac-baren/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=70216
These are probably two comparable products. When 7 Seas Regular was $25 a bag it was a good deal, now it's priced normally.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mac-baren/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=169566

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/dunhill/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=177
Vintage Syrian now cost $2.52 more than a tin of Nightcap, it is a price hike, but not something out of line with the rest of the industry (just so this makes sense in the future, the current price of Nightcap is $9.25 and Vintage Syrian is $11.77, in 50 gram tins. And then there's Delux Navy Rolls at $14.20 for a 50 gram tin, MacBaren has a ways to go).

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. No mention of a timeline in the article? :puffy:

P

pipebuddy

I didn't read that St - Bruno, or Walnut, will be available on the US market? And, if Amphora is also available in the US, that will be good news as well.

May 31, 2012
This is HUGE news for worshippers at the alter of St. Bruno.
Good because it probably means we'll see it over here again,

in tins instead of pouches and cheaper than UK prices...
...but like Jim,

I'm concerned MacBaren may use they own tobaccos, and not the ones Imperial had been sourcing for those blends.
I also fear that it will somehow not be the same due especially to leaf variation, Mac Baren doesn't seem to have a firm grasp yet of making blends on the more full-bodied side it seems --- hopefully the flavor will be pretty close as I'm sure they'll get all the process sheets and recipe.
Exciting but sketchy at the same time.

8O
Den danske tobaksindustri sidder nu på over 80 pct. af verdensmarkedet for pibetobak.

Status
Not open for further replies.