PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I got my hands on 2 ounces of PS Luxury Navy Flake a few days ago. At first, I just set the bag aside. I have heard a lot of positive feedback about this one, but I wasn't sure how most people were prepping it, so I left it alone.
When I did finally open the bag up, I noticed an interesting, tea-like scent that came across as neither bland or extravagant. I decided to go with my normal flake prep. I rubbed down a flake, and was suprised at how easy these flakes rub out. I left it to dry all day while I took care of other chores and things. Finally I went to pack it up. I chose my Hilson chimney, thinking it would be the right pipe for the sizable flake. My pack was slightly one the tight side, but I still had a good draw, so I went for it.
Now maybe my diet wrecked the flavor, or maybe I just used the wrong pipe. The Hilson has primarily been used for FVF ever since I discovered their orgasmic union. Anyway, I didn't get much flavor. What flavor I was getting was mild and slightly soapy. I felt sort of disappointed. I asked my wife to give it a try. She didn't mind the scent or the taste, commenting that it wasn't bad. I thought to myself that perhaps I had expected to much. Honestly, it was a let down.
This morning, I was talking to rsuninv and I asked him how he prepares his LNF. He told me that he uses the fold and stuff method with this flake, and I know it is one he enjoys, so I decided to give it a shot. I laid out 2 flakes for a few hours, then folded one over and stuffed it in. I used the Hilson again, still convinced that a solid union could be found.
The difference was night and day. On the charring light I caught the strong VA forward. The perique came though as I got the bowl going, a sort of musty, peppery flavor that helped to smooth over the sharp VA and add a nice tingle for my sinuses on the exhale. I found myself wishing the bowl could go on just a little longer, but alas, it died. This evening, I pulled out my cob that usually only sees ODF and popped a folded flake into it. Even better. The cob really allows the full flavor of this flake to shine through. It is mild, compared to some blends, but it is good. The flavor becomes more rich and robust as you get down the bowl. Unlike some tobaccos, where it becomes harsh and biting towards the bottom, this flake just gets better. You will hit the bottom of the bowl and frown.
So, overall a great flake when prepped right. I am going to give the cube cut method a go as well, just to see. I would not hesitate to recommend this one to anyone who likes ODF or FVF, as it makes a nice, yet similar alternative that is very fairly priced.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Outstanding review. LNF was my introduction to VaPers, and it was love at first puff. The price didn't hurt. I agree it's mild, but reveals more complexity the more you smoke it. Great review.
PS I also fold and stuff.

zzeman

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
It is my favorite Luxury flake as well. All three seem to have a distinctive richness that develops as it smokes, but I notice it the most on the Navy Flake.
I smoked some cube cut this morning, and it worked great.
-Zack

It was a tricky one for me in the beginning too. But, it stoves much better than LTF and LBF, And, I love that slight hint of casing that all of the Stokkebye flakes have, it reminds me of a new pair of cowboy boots, except sweeter.

I think I just smoke this one however my mood dictates, fold stuffed, cubed, rubbed out. It really depends on which pipe I am going to use.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I tried cube cutting my sample of LNF, and I've had mixed results - one really nasty, bitter smoke and several that were quite nice, actually. I still prefer Luxury Bullseye Flake, myself, but I'll have to try fold-and-stuff on another sample sometime.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You shameless enablers! :rofl: I've got a sealed jar of LNF that's been layin' around for over 2 yrs.

I was content to let it be -- unmolested. Now, I gotta crack it open and see what y'all are talkin' about.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks for the feedback guys. I ripped up a flake this morning (no decent scissors) and poured the chunks in. Very, very nice surprisingly. A hint of ashy taste right at the bottom, but it beats the hell out of the foul taste some blends give off at the end.
Cortez, go for it. It's pretty damn good.

Rincewind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
One of my favorite VaPers. I cube cut it then let it dry about 15 minutes. Then just fill up the bowl and push down lightly with a thumb and light. I smoke it in a cob and get an amazing sweet plum taste with a little spice that is very tasty. A very well done flake by PS and it is solidly in my rotation of quality VaPers.
Fadingdaylight I guess it's time to invest in some decent scissors. Lol. IMO cube cutting is the easiest method for flakes. I have never gotten the hang of fold & stuff.

Jan 8, 2013
Guess it wouldn't kill me to buy a pair of the small barber style to keep with my pipe stuff. All I could find this morning were the rounded kids construction paper ones. Lol.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
and was suprised at how easy these flakes rub out
Besides Orlik Golden Sliced, this is one of the few flakes that I fold and stuff. It is a nice soft flake with a good strength.

Jan 8, 2013
I tell my daughter (she is only 9) I'm going to skip the gun and go straight to polishing my sword. Lol. I doubt they would be too scared of my swiss army knife.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
When I first smoked PS LNF I was rather disappointed. The first bowl was rather bland, but I stuck with it and with every bowl after that I got more and more flavor. It is a deceptively simple blend because I am still discovering new flavors in it and it has been my go-to tobacco for a year now.

Status
Not open for further replies.