PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I got my hands on a sample of this from a kind lady at the NASPC Show in Columbus. I am a big fan of VA's/ VaPer flakes and thought that this smoke was going to blow me away after all of the fanfare that it gets here. It has the flavor I enjoy but it is just too weak for my taste. I have really begun to be able to discern those sweet VA flavors but this one is falling short. I have tried it in several different pipes as well. I'm just glad that I was given a sample and didn't buy it blindly.
The same thing happened with a couple Two Friends blends I thought that I would love. Two Friends English Chocolate is one of my go to blends. I tried Redwood and Bed and Breakfast but was unimpressed with both.
Just the world according to Hoyle, YMMV.
Edit: I should have added that a VaPer that I really enjoy is Rattray's Marlin Flake. This blend has the much bolder flavor that I am looking for in this type of flake.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Both LBF and Marlin Flake are regulars in my Virginia rotation. I agree that LBF is more mild than Marlin Flake, but I also must say that I think it's subtle flavors are exquisite.
It seems like you're well aware of what you do and don't like, and just as was quoted in another thread recently "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke." Sorry LBF wasn't for you. Luckily, there are thousands of other blends to try! Happy smoking :puffy:

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Yessir, I am definitely honing down to specific blends within certain categories. I wanted to like it and the flavor is great but it just doesn't "pop" in the mouth like others I have had. I wish it did because it sure is affordable!

Dec 24, 2012
If you like that chocolate stuff then maybe something like Middleton Cherry might be more up your alley, lol.
Seriously though, LBF does taste much better after it has aged 2 or 3 years, but maybe it will never work for you.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I think LBF needs some age on it to really begin to shine. Try St. James Flake, its pretty full bodied but is a pain to get a hold of. One thing I tried and had success with was adding a bit of McClelland blending Perique to LBF. It kicks up a notch or two.
Another couple good ones are Escudo and Solani 633.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I recently had the same sort of let down with University Flake. I seem to be finding that flakes aren't my thing. I've had several, and used every method in the book for smoking them, and haven't found one I enjoy yet. Same with Virginias, I just don't care for them. I have had a few Va/Pers that were OK. I think I'll stick with my 1Q, C. C. Cavendish, and McClelland Englishes! I currently have about 30 open blends, out of which, there are about 12 I really like. I have 3 or 4 that are OK, and the rest will probably sit there for years!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
LBF vs other VaPers may not be a fair comparison if you were expecting them to be similar. LBF contains a center of fermented black Cavendish (with "who knows what" kind of flavoring). LBF is very dependent on how it's prepared for smoking. I get the most enjoyment by scuffing the coin, careful to avoid crumbling the center. Keep that intact for a flavor blast(s).
I like everything you mentioned except Two Friends' English Chocolate, which I haven't had, and Bed & Breakfast, which didn't do anything for me. Their Redwood has a darker, softer sweetness that, while not as fruity as some Vapers, is more fruit-like than Bull's Eye's brighter, grassier sweetness. A second point of departure is that Redwood's Perique is more peppery. While its musty, stewed fruit plumminess integrates well with the Red Va.'s, it is less subtle than that found in Bull's Eye. Finally, Redwood's unsweetened black Cavendish produces a chocolate, or perhaps carob flavor that defines this blend's individuality; in Bull's Eye the black Cav is a mere tint.
Perhaps 4noggins' Weybridge would be more to your liking. The next time you place an order, use the message box to ask Rich for a sample.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm of the same mind as the OP. LBF just doesn't cut it for me.
I've smoked it in the past, but I actually enjoyed it most when it was fresh. While I agree that the VAs sweeten and mellow after a year or so, the best thing about LBF for me is the fruity Cavendish center, especially when you pack somewhere about mid-bowl. I thought the Cavendish came through more when it was fresh than when it had been aged. To each his own, YMMV, etc. Still, I'm glad so many here enjoy it, because you can't beat the price.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
dhizzy, if you have not tried Escudo, you might want to. It is one of my favorite vapers. I also second SG St James and Solani 633, both regulars in my rotation. I am also not a fan of LBF.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Nice rib their peck but Ill pass on the cherry blends. It is kind of funny that one of my main go-to's is I guess, technically an aromatic ( because i dont care much for most of them ) but man the VA's are splendid in that blend and the Latakia is used how I prefer it, as a condiment. I have a spare jar, I am going to put what LBF I have remaining in there and try to let it age.
Cortez, I will definitely check into Weybridge, thanks.
Mr. English, I have so far not enjoyed any of the McClellands that I've tried. But I will possibly give that one a try. I have considered it in the past.
Pete, Don't say that! I have a tin of UF that I'm waiting to crack!
Harris, I have a tin with about 4 months age on it that I'm waiting a bit to open, thanks. Does anyone know how to decode that date code on Escudo tins?

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I'm also not a fan of LBF, I do find the LNF quite nice however. For vapers my favorites are Escudo and Orlik Golden Sliced. I have a tin of St, James flake waiting to be opened however.

B

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
dhizzy, keep in mind that maybe its not time for you to really enjoy VAs and VAPERs. When I first experimented with them I unimpressed. Tried a bunch of different kinds and it was not for me. Went back to English blends and stayed with those for a few more years.
Then we could get our hands on Samuel Gawith and was hooked. Suddenly I found an appreciation of what a good VA or VAPER was like and smoked nothing but for a few years. That love affair ended and I went back to my English tobacco and pipes.
It wasn't until Peterson released their 3P's that I got that bug again and have been smoking nothing but VAPERs and VAs since.
I guess what I am trying to say is there is nothing wrong with not liking them, just maybe revisit them again down the road. You may end up being surprised.
Oh, I was referring to St. James Flake made by Samuel Gawith. I am with you on the McClelland, for some reason they bite so I stay away from them.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
If you're a fan of Va/Vapers then the SG trio of BBF/FVF/SJF should already be in your rotation. MC 2015 is also a hardy Vaper if the brands "tomato" tin note doesn't bother you. When you compare Vaper coins all will benefit from ageing, LNF has a Cavendish center that brings a sweetness which is probably turning you off.
Craig

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
I will say, I bought some LBF and the first time I smoked it -- in a narrow tall cob which tends to impart a little sweetness to everything smoked in it, and I was somewhat disappointed -- I found it too sweet and I though the perique to be MIA, but I've been puffing it lately in a Peterson's churchwarden and getting a lot more spice and balance out of it and enjoying it every much. It won't replace Escudo as my go-to VaPer flake, but I've come around on LBF, in the right pipe I've found it to be very nice and balanced but certainly more polite, I suppose thanks to the Cavendish, than some VaPers.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
While everyone's tastes differ - and should - I just have to go on record as being a huge fan of LBF (and of LNF). LBF is clearly not what you reach for when desiring a Perique-forward blend. And it's not even a VaPer, really, but rather a VaPer hybrid.
It's made in the same factory, and probably with the same Virginias, as other more highly regarded flakes and coins. It could be that some just find the core distracting to the subtleties of the Virginias and antagonistic to the Perique.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I feel like shouting "off with his head!" LBF is truly amazing stuff, but only if you like the milder Virginia blends like I do and straight VA blends.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
That's just it Mr. English, I have been enjoying most all of the VA's and Vapers that I've tried. I love GLP Triple Play, MacBaren HH Acadian Perique, Marlin Flake, Lousiana Red and the list goes on. I've been at it for a couple of years now and my tastes have definitely changed. It just didn't deliver the flavor that the others I mentioned did. The type of flavor I desire was there it is just too weak. I understand what you are saying but I wouldn't know where to go from here. I don't enjoy aro's or Latakia forward blends either but I do enjoy burleys in addition to Va's and VaPers.
Thanks for all of the suggestions and feedback guys. You all are ok, I don't care what they say about you!

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Yes, I love VaBur blends as well but I haven't tried any of the ones you mentioned. I have definitely got to try Weybridge. I am also interested in Solani blends. I tried Aged Burkey Flake and it was good but too much like my beloved HH Old Dark Fired.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I must admit that I like LBF fresh. I think I will like it even more after a couple of years in the cellar. Another plus is the price of this tobacco. It is a great deal and it won't break the bank to cellar away a few pounds.

+1 to Roth on Solani Silver Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.