PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Luciano are good Italian pipes, "hand finished" and quite various in size, weight, and shapes and designs. I took a fancy to them two or three years ago and without calculating got in on lower prices. I bought a blast straight saddle stem billiard and later a smooth author, both of which would go for about $150 today. I bought them for a little more than half that. I've been well pleased, both with the pipes' smoking characteristics and with the notion that they have increased in value. I've smoked them so it's not a question of making money on resale, but rather that they'd cost plenty more today. Some pipes stay pretty steady on prices corrected for inflation, and others seem to trend up, or down, and there's no telling. Stanwell in Denmark used to be more expensive than it is now, but the Italian-made pipes, especially as sold through PC, are excellent values, and still excellent smokers, to me. I'm not astute enough to know how specific pipes are trending, but you sometimes have gotten a real bargain -- and sometimes not -- in retrospect.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I have two Lucianos that I paid around $100 for and they are fine pipes. Smoke great.Excellent fit and finish and beautiful grain. I agree with your assesment that there is an upside to Luciano pipe market.

Dec 28, 2015
I have a couple of Luciano's as well and I love both of them. A while back I posted pics of a Radice apple and Luciano Apple that I bought at the same time. Everyone commented on the radice but I think you were the only person who complemented me on the small luciano. And while the radice IS a beautiful pipe and a great smoker....I probably smoke the Luciano at least three times more often. It is just such a great little pipe. Can't wait to get another.

Dec 28, 2015
In fact I am spending the week at the beach with my family and only carried two pipes and the Luciano Apple was one of them. Enjoying a bowl of OGS in it as I type this.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
I recently acquired my first Luciano, a smooth brown 235b. A billiard with a very thick bowl, it is designed and engineered to provide a cool smoke and is perfect for flakes. If Lucianos are as good as this one, I will be acquiring at least another one in the future.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Seem to remember reading the Luciano has a new head honcho who is taking Luciano upscale. Demanding better quality, and therefore the prices will climb in relation.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I am a big fan of my 3 Luciano pipes. I have one from 2013, before the brand overhaul, and 2 from 2015. Even though the prices may be slightly higher than before, I still believe they are an amazing bang for your buck!!!
20150520_165055.jpg

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Seem to remember reading the Luciano has a new head honcho who is taking Luciano upscale. Demanding better quality, and therefore the prices will climb in relation.
Same guy is in charge, Luca di Piazza, but you are right about him stepping up quality. Apparently all pipes are hand made using plateau briar with a minimum of 3 years drying before being shaped.

Status
Not open for further replies.