Luciano: It's A Good Thing Your Pipes Are Good Looking...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Otherwise I would return each and every one of them.

I have four Luciano's now, and each and every one of them are gorgeous, but two of the four can't pass a cleaner without getting stuck on the inner lip of the draw hole, and the other two seem to have been drilled by someone who's too lazy to worry about the drill coming into contact with the stummel/shank.

It's a shame, I really like to latch on to pipe companies when I discover how nice they are, and after four pipes, I don't know if I'll buy another Luciano. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful (and inexpensive I might add), but there's just something lacking in the details on the INSIDES of the pipe that makes me think twice about the fifth pipe from this company/pipemaker.

Thoughts from other Luciano owners?
Shutterbug

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I was unhappy at first because of stain in bowl on mine, but nothing you mentioned. All of that is fine with my sublin sandblast. Currently my only luciano.

B

Dec 24, 2012
I have one my wife bought me as a present when I first got into pipes. It has the same problem you describe, and just smokes hot generally. I haven't had the heart to tell her I hate that pipe, lol. Another cheaper pipe I have is a Neerup, but that one is a great smoker.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Peck:

I LOVE all of my Neerups...own 6 of them so far, and all are great smokers, and they look great too. It`s too bad about these Lucianos...I think he would have a great future if just a little bit more attention to detail was there...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Sorry to hear it. I have one Luciano and it has none of these problems...good smoker. But I suppose any low to mid-range factory pipe is going to be hit and miss.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have two Lucianos, a smooth author and a sandblast billiard, and both of them are drilled correctly and

pass a pipe cleaner with no problem, and they are attractive and look more expensive than they are. I

am sorry to hear that others have had a bad time with them, and surprised. I think I'd be reluctant to buy

another after these reports. Maybe they'll read these posts, or be informed by someone who does, and

increase quality control. My latest two pipe purchases have been a BC and a Capuis Comoy, a medium and

low price pipe, and they have been well-crafted, well drilled, and smoke and take a pipe cleaner well, for

anyone shopping around.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Damn, I have two Lucianos that I haven't even smoked yet, let alone tried to pass a cleaner through yet. I'll give them the cleaner test when I get the chance. I have a drill bit ready in case it fails the test.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I have a Luciano sandblasted billiard that passes a pipe cleaner just fine. Also smokes great! Guess it's hit and miss at that price range. I sure do enjoy mine.
I have a Peterson Irish Harp that cost me almost twice as much that gurgles every time though...

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
The only pipe I ever regretted purchasing was a Luciano. I love Italian pipes but that pipe was not a smoker at all. I hope you have better luck.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In this age of internet (old timey term I guess) Luciano should know better than to be slack on basic quality.

Word gets around. There was at least one other Luciano that strongly attracted me, but not now. I'll content

myself with the two I bought that are successful. I wondered when I mentioned Luciano on Forums that there

wasn't a more favorable response, instead of much silence. Now I know why.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In this age of internet (old timey term I guess) Luciano should know better than to be slack on basic quality.

Word gets around. There was at least one other Luciano that strongly attracted me, but not now. I'll content

myself with the two I bought that are successful. I wondered when I mentioned Luciano on Forums that there

wasn't a more favorable response, instead of much silence. Now I know why.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I like the look of lucianos too. I am not surprised at the comments really since they're not very expensive pipes.
But I am not so sure I'd be dissuaded from buying one. First and foremost, I'd buy from a reputable dealer. I'd ask them to pass a pipe cleaner through, check for fills and make sure the drill hole is at the base of the bowl.
If they say it's good, I'd purchase it. Then double-check once it's rec'd - esp the drilling.
I think this would be enough to ensure a decent smoker.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I have a Luciano lovat. I have smoked five bowls in it to date. The bowl seems a bit big for a lovat, but it is Italian and the button is a bit small. It has smoked well so far. Like you said it is a beautiful pipe. I don't have a problem with running a pipe cleaner to the bowl. Everything considered it is a keeper.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would immediately return any pipe that did not pass a fluffy pipe cleaner with ease. In my mind any pipe that does not pass a cleaner is defective and should not have been sold in the first place. I also look at the drilling of a pipe and if it is not dead center, I would return that as well. To me that is an egregious lack of quality control and the company should be held responsible.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I guess its a hit or miss thing. Pipe cleaners go through my Lucianos with no problem. I will note to request that seller run a pipe cleaner through, before future purchases though. Good advice guys.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I have had a few Lucianos on my wish list for a while now. Guess I'm gonna have to take Six's advice and make sure the dealer can give me a quality control assessment first. Thanks for the heads up, everyone.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm unclear about the pipe cleaner test, inasmuch as I have found just one or two full bent pipes that will

pass a pipe cleaner, and the others can be kept clean by pushing the pipe cleaner as far as it will go every time,

and breaking the pipe down occasionally and cleaning the bowl/shank part and the stem separately. Almost none of

my full bent pipes will pass a pipe cleaner. That's true of my 1/4 bent bulldog and Rhodesian too. But

it's just not a problem.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mso, I have had plenty of full bent pipes over the years and everyone except one passed a pipe cleaner with ease. Just because it is a full bend, does not mean it should not be drilled properly.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Okay, it seems there's a love hate, but I decided to show you just what I mean. It's not JUST about passing a cleaner, as I mentioned in the OP, it's about his quality. Sure, they're economical, but here's an example:

luciano-bad-600x450.jpg

The lip has actually been rubbed so badly by the drilling process that there's a channel present.

Here's what it should look like:

luciano-good-600x450.jpg

and here's an image of my Luciano's:

lucianos-600x450.jpg

They're good looking, but as I said, I'm on the ledge about buying another one. Thanks for all that replied so far.
Shutterbug

Status
Not open for further replies.