PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I had been smoking Old Dark Fired for a few days, getting into it and it kicked my ass a few times with its heavy tone and nic, then switched to Maltese Falcon for a few days. MF has the sweet Virginia sans the burley wallop I was getting from ODF, with the burley replaced by latakia. I think of ODF as a Virginia backed by burley, and switching over to MF is like Virginia backed with latakia. I guess it's called an English, but it seems too sweet.....is there such a class of baccy as a VaLat? Perhaps this is the English for the Virginia lover. Very nice stuff.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Have you tried Samuel Gawith Commonwealth?
It's a 50/50 blend of Virginia and Latakia. Maybe not as sweet as Maltese Falcon, I think it's something you would enjoy.
It's full bodied with a good kick to it as well.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I find MF to be very gratifying. More so, IMNSHO, is Lagonda, also by Mr. Pease. Might check it out when you get a chance.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Latakia blends tend to go one way or the other for me depending on the blenders hand and whatever condiment tobaccos they're using. Often I'll get that sweetness as you described and other times I get a rich, earthy, almost mushroom like quality and once in a blue moon I might get to experience all that in one bowl. I sometimes hear other pipe smokers talking about their taste evolution and how Latakia falls off their list if things they like to smoke. I hope that never happens to me!
Oh yeah, +1 on the SG Commonwealth, excellent.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I find MF to be very gratifying. More so, IMNSHO, is Lagonda, also by Mr. Pease. Might check it out when you get a chance.
Ok, IMNSHO, that took me a few seconds, I'm calling foul, lol. Are you trying to get Brian Levine started on another rant on abbreviating on the forum posts on his podcast?? He whines enough as it is! (Just kidding Brian)

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Thank you kindly for the recommendations, gents. Va & Lat. Sounds like the best of both worlds in one tin.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The smallest pinch of Lat in any blend makes it a Lat blend for me. I can smell it, I can taste it. That's why I cut to the chase and smoke Nightcap.

Status
Not open for further replies.