PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcloud

Lurker
Jul 23, 2014
Hello friends!
I got my internet mail order of tobaccos, and I also ordered a couple of pipes, one of which is the MM mini corncob. I already had a Legend MM cob pipe which I love to use too, so figured to try a mini. Well I have to say that I am delighted with it! Throughout my work day I load bowls that last a perfect amount of time for a good break; 10 - 15 minutes or so. I use a screw to tamp, and clean the bowl out at the end. I dont bother cleaning the pipe all day, but by days end it could use a good run with a pipe cleaner. Great for breaks, and considering how light weight it is its simple to clench it between teeth while driving or doing somethimg. I consider it a perfect pipe to enjoy through a busy day. I even feel comfortable using it out in public. I went to a Dollar store and bought a small zippered camera case which is perfect for holding my mini pipe, nail (I use a screw actually), pipe cleaners, lighter, and a couple baggies of tobacco.
Who else regularly uses a mini? How do you use it, and how do you carry? Id love to hear from fans of mini pipes. When do you chose to use it? How? Why? Perhaps if youve been indulging in them for a while, do you have any tips?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hey mrcloud ... glad your diggin the mini's!
I have the Tom Sawyer and love it for sampling or for a short smoke.
Currently, it's serving "truck duty" along with a tin of H&H Old Companion.
If I'm running errands or on my way to work, it's perfect! :puffy:

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I have the Huck Finn and I agree it is a really good pipe. It smokes cooler and less relighting and tapping I guess cause it is a small cherry overall cherry diameter. I love it as we'll I am afraid it will not last as long cause the walls are so thin but only time will tell and since they are so cheap I'll just by another,

mrcloud

Lurker
Jul 23, 2014
I bout a walnut toke pipe from eds TNT, which I thought would look like a cigar. But smoking it out in public I feel like people might think I'm smoking wacky tobaky. I am still pleased with my mini cob, and smoke it in public.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Only MM I would call a mini that I have would be the eaton. I don't use it too often but I usually pack a regular sized bowl and have the one pipe for my breaks at work. I get that delayed gratification of it and it's already had a charred light and ready to go. No time wasting here! :rofl:
I do enjoy the eaton when it is used though, very light, very easy to clench, super small bowl which is good in some cases.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I won't play my whole "tape" about small pipes, but they are good and useful, not just souvenirs nor toys.

Every piper should have several. Cob minis fill the bill.

mrcloud

Lurker
Jul 23, 2014
I will be honest that my honeymoon with the mini is quickly subsiding. I am having a hard time cleaning the tiny stem as a pipe cleaner doesn't fit and now my pipe has a sourish bad taste. I am contemplating buying a small cob to use throughout the day instead of a mini. DGT between brief puffs instead of a whole mini bowl. Will explore using a wine cork to plug pipe between smokes. I don't believe a mini pipe is suitable for multiple smokes throughout the days... though I wish it was.
Any tips from experienced users to fix that disgusting taste? Perhaps a tip from an experienced mini user would provide the needed info to restore the pipe back to daily usage. Thanks in advance.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Ahhh ... I see. You got the "Mini" mini-cob.
For a small cob I'd recommend the Tom Sawyer (nose warmer) and the Eaton or Huck Finn for slightly longer stem.
Still very small bowls but easily passes the cleaner.
Edit: The Tom Sawyer gives me 3-4 five minute smokes with the final DGT still tasting good!

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
My first smoke ever was in a mini MM, the one that is just about keychain-sized. To date it has been the hottest smoke I've puffed and rightly so- the stem & shank can't be more than 2 inches long! Will the mini MM burn tobacco? Yes. Is it practical as a pipe? Not in my opinion.
The times I've set a pipe down mid-smoke and returned to it later have proven to me the merits of the DGT (Delayed Gratification Technique). I don't feel a cork is necessary unless you intend to put it in your pocket or something. I just drop whatever loose ash there is, set it down in an out-of-the-way location, then light it up when I'm ready for more.

mrcloud

Lurker
Jul 23, 2014
Tonight I will order that sawyer pipevyou mentioned, thanks. Assuming the shipping doesn't make it rediculously priced. I am sort of puffing away on the mini today, but not pleasantly

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've been smoking a Missou during my lunch breaks - I eat at my desk, then go for a 2-mile walk, and the Missou is just about the right size (at least it has been so far - I've been using up some of my goopier aromatic samples, which don't always stay lit). The Tom Sawyer and the Huck Finn have the same size bowls (as do the Pony Express and the Eaton, I believe), so any of those should work for a relatively quick smoke. Once I switch over to some of the drier samples in my collection, we'll see what happens to the length of the smoke...

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I have 3 or four small "mini's". None are cobs however. My experience is they are best used when I dont have much time. Another time they are good is while at the PC here as I set it down and forget it while typing or surfing. The only real problem is they heat up so fast and affect experience as we all know.

I cant seem to resist a PAD moment when I see one. Ive always been keen on any miniature item. Here's my lastest 3 1/2" relic that my wife says is hers now. I smiled and said ok then proceeded to light it up. :rofl:
CPF1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.